head gasket?

302fordracer

Mar 27, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I have been fighting an overheating issue and I did some testing today looking for the problem..I bought a craftsman infrared temperature gun and took the temperature at the header flanges. I made sure to keep my hand very steady and took the temperature at the same spot for each cylinder...my results; cylinder 1 ran (after car reached full operating temperature) around 230-235 degrees while every other cylinder was around 310-315...do you think that this indicates a blown head gasket? and could this be the source of my overheating even if I am NOT losing coolant?

• Sponsors (?)

Does your cooling system pressurize very quickly after you start the engine? Do you see a never ending stream of small bubbles coming up through the rad with the cap off? These are two indicators of a blown head gasket and are very easy to check.

I understand where you are coming from with this test. I think that if there were a HG problem....coolant in that cylinder would cause lower temps. Especially considering the large difference in temperature between that cylinder and the rest....not to mention that temperature is just above a normal coolant temp. I would do a comp check and leak down test. Hopefully those will tell you the rest of the story. Good luck