Header Selection for Stroked 302

fasttback

Apr 16, 2005
Northern CA
Does anyone know who would make or where to find a set of full length headers to fit a stroked 302 in a 1966 Mustang with Canfield heads (exhaust port raised 0.400")? Also would be nice to fit them on my 1967 when I switch motors down the road.

I would like 1 3/4" primaries or stepped 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" to a 3" collector with a 3" bolt pattern on the flange. My problems so far - I would prefer not to get rid of my power steering, stock clutch linkage, and Lakewood bellhousing. I've looked at FPA and Headman Hustler so far, but I would have to drop some things to make them fit. Are customs my only option? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

My Shelby type Tri-Y's fit both E7's and my Canfields in my 89 Ranger. I've interchanged them several times in the past few years with the same set. They breathe PLENTY welll enough for the 400+hp 331. Just about any header for the classic Stangs need a drop bracket to clear the power steering.

My Shelby type Tri-Y's fit both E7's and my Canfields in my 89 Ranger. I've interchanged them several times in the past few years with the same set. They breathe PLENTY welll enough for the 400+hp 331. Just about any header for the classic Stangs need a drop bracket to clear the power steering.

Hearne -

I'm running Patriot Tri-Y's right now (1.5" primaries with 2.5" collectors) on the 352 (302 + 3.4 + 0.060). I bought these headers for my mild 289, but some cracked cam bearings caused me to pull the motor and install the 352 (which was ready to go anyhow).

Brief background on the motor - the 352 is set up to spin to 7500 rpm and is pulling somewhere between 450-475+ hp. Everything is setup to handle that HP/rpm except the old exhaust system (Try-Y's, 2.25" mandrel bent tubing exiting through the valance, turbo mufflers, and x-pipe).

The mismatch in size between the ported Canfield exhaust ports and the Tri-Ys will cause a lot of turbulence alone. The Tri-Ys/2.25" exhaust does an excellent job until 5800 with the 1.72 rockers and 6200 with the 1.6 rockers, flat lines after that. The fuel system was my first concern, but everything has been changed (new 3/8" lines from the tank sending unit to carb, high flow Russel fuel filter, and a Carter 120 gph street/strip mechanical fuel pump). I suspected the Carter as a weak link, but others insist it can handle this hp) - have not checked fuel pressure during a run though.

So...I leaning towards the exhaust system right now and I will upgrade the fuel pump down the road.

Sounds like customer, or semi - custom are the way to go for your application. I would call Kooks, they did a really nice job with my headers. They fit great, cleared my scattershield and everything else. The slip tubes make them a breeze to install compared to off the shelf headers too.

http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/

I checked out the website and email them about my early year Mustangs. Looks like they deal primarily with 1979 and up Mustangs only...does this sound right?

Hearne -

I'm running Patriot Tri-Y's right now (1.5" primaries with 2.5" collectors) on the 352 (302 + 3.4 + 0.060). I bought these headers for my mild 289, but some cracked cam bearings caused me to pull the motor and install the 352 (which was ready to go anyhow).

Brief background on the motor - the 352 is set up to spin to 7500 rpm and is pulling somewhere between 450-475+ hp. Everything is setup to handle that HP/rpm except the old exhaust system (Try-Y's, 2.25" mandrel bent tubing exiting through the valance, turbo mufflers, and x-pipe).

The mismatch in size between the ported Canfield exhaust ports and the Tri-Ys will cause a lot of turbulence alone. The Tri-Ys/2.25" exhaust does an excellent job until 5800 with the 1.72 rockers and 6200 with the 1.6 rockers, flat lines after that. The fuel system was my first concern, but everything has been changed (new 3/8" lines from the tank sending unit to carb, high flow Russel fuel filter, and a Carter 120 gph street/strip mechanical fuel pump). I suspected the Carter as a weak link, but others insist it can handle this hp) - have not checked fuel pressure during a run though.

So...I leaning towards the exhaust system right now and I will upgrade the fuel pump down the road.
I welded the tubes to flange joints all around on the outside, then ported the insides to match the head ports. When I had it in the Ranger would pull to 7000 with the 331, 7500 with the same heads on a 302 shortblock with a B303 and 1.7 rockers. The Ranger weighs in at 3800lbs with me in it, Toploader 4 speed, 3.73 rear. In the few times I got to run it at the strip, it did a best of 13.70 @ 102 with 2 second 60' times. Top speed was 140 mph.
Oh, and the fuel pump feeding it was a 30 gal/hr electric, that was plenty enough for the 331's three carbs. The only time it fails to feed em is when the fuel filter gets full of trash, that's when I know it needs changing. The 331 has a Z303 cam with 1.7 rockers

Hearne -

You dont need stepped headers for that. 1 3/4 w/3" is good for about 600 FWHP, its what I'm running right now BTW.

I ran some 1 5/8" LT supercomps last yr, switched to 1 3/4" and gained zero. That was on a 532 FWHP 7600 rpm shift point 347. Mine are Accufab, and while they do fit, they fit like crap IMO and the weld job on the joints are sub par IMO. You just have to mention to them what heads your running etc etc. With what your making, I'd just get some supercomps, they fit and will handle the power your doing.

Oh, to make the supercomps fit with the raised ports, you can enlarge the ports with a die grinder, then elongate the bolt holes so they line up. My Victor Jr heads are raised ports on the exhaust side also, and its how we got them to line up.