headers

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know if there are any headers that are illegal... but if there were it'd probably be the long tubes. I know you have to have cats on your mid pipe, thats about all.

I got my BBK long tubes for $288 from Brothers Performance.

All long tubes are illegal in Cali ,Unless they come with a CARB #. I believe Hooker headers has a set of long tubes for our cars that comes with a CARB #. If it has the CARB # you can run it. Otherwise don't even bother. You could have a set of Hooker headers and a set of MAC's setting side by side. And they could look identical in size, shape, gauge tube weight, color,etc,etc. Unless it has the CARB # the Nazi's here on the west coastwill give you :notnice: :notnice: :notnice: :uzi:

CALIstanggt said:
How do you like your BBK long tubes? have you had any problums?
I havent had any problems with them at all so far. But I've heard some don't come with the EGR bung, and some do. I guess I was one of the lucky people who got a set with the EGR bung allready on them. The fit on them is great, but we had to grind down some of the welding on the flanges to open the ports up all the way, that was the only problem and didnt take long to fix.

I believe all long tube headers are illegal in California. To make a legal set, you would have to make a matching set of headers and h-pipe, then get the whole system an EO#. The problem is that it is illegal to replace your h-pipe untill you are past 100,000 miles.

So, in 1994, or earlier, you would have to design an exhaust system that people will have to drive 100,000 miles to legally install. By the time that most '94-95 cars can install it, Ford is no longer making 5.0's, which means that the aftermarket will not support a market that is not growing.

Luckily, California only requires smog tests once every two years, so just use illegal headers and save your old parts to swap back at smog time.

Long tube headers are illegal anywhere with emissions check because of the catalytic converter placement. Cat function relies heavily on operating temperature; if you place the cats too far away from the engine, as you would with long tubes, you prevent something called cat light-off--the time at which the cat heats up enough to create the chemical reaction that "cleanses" your exhaust.

Jon