headers

I have found street legal, short tube headers available for the V6 mustang.
Any thoughts on whether they will produce more HP? Is it pointless to install them if you plan to keep the rest of the stock single exhaust? Manufacturers want it to sound like their stuff is the best modification you can make. Would this be a good improvement for the money ( 300$-ish plus labor)?

• Sponsors (?)

I have found street legal, short tube headers available for the V6 mustang.
Any thoughts on whether they will produce more HP? Is it pointless to install them if you plan to keep the rest of the stock single exhaust? Manufacturers want it to sound like their stuff is the best modification you can make. Would this be a good improvement for the money ( 300$-ish plus labor)?

I vote No. I have owned two V-6 Stangs - A 98 and an 05. Check this little snippit out for addt'l info.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=653948&highlight=headers

I vote maybe :p.

You'll definitely get some improvement from the headers, but as far as bang for the buck, they're probably pretty low on the list.

Check out this article for some numbers on what you can expect to gain from headers, a muffler, a CAI, and a retune. http://www.jbaheaders.com/articles/50Mustang_306.pdf. It also includes what appear to be fairly decent instructions on how to install the headers too :)

Personally I'd probably only install headers after a muffler, CAI, and a retune.

I definitely will NOT be going with headers.

From all I've seen/heard they return small amounts of gain for big $$$.

A set of full duals will give you as much if not more.

Not like we are running a 1970 429CJ that had restrictive cast iron manifolds. Headers were awesome on that baby...

I added duals and got better sound, better top-end performance, and better gas mileage, and it fixed the "hesitation after long cruise" Ford TSB.

SOHC

I’d vote no, unless you have a lot of extra cash just lying around. There are a lot of other things you can do with the money that would benefit you more than headers. The stock manifold on the V6 are pretty close to headers anyways.