heads or supercharger????

n8s92fox

Aug 30, 2009
anderson,ca
I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do next on my mustang I have the money to either supercharge it or put heads on it.Eventually it will have both.I liked to get some opinions on what i should to first.Its the stock motor with the usual bolt ons.I also plan on putting a 347 in it too but that will be later on down the road.Any suggestions in helping me decide what be greatly appreciated because I'm torn right now as to which route I want to go. Thanks nate

• Sponsors (?)

It boils down to are u a N/A guy or do u like the whine of a supercharger, i know im N/A all the way my 333 stroker makes 400RWHP (dynojet) i have seen some blown 331 not make that much, so really u can split a block with either one probably with a 347 and a blower quicker. A good aluminum head and custom cam can be lots of fun:nice:

If I were you, I would choose a nice set of heads for your upcoming 347, Trick Flows, AFR's, Canfields, what ever. Make a nasty 347 with moderate compression, good heads, appropriate cam, high cfm intake, great exhaust etc...then enjoy it for a while. If and WHEN you need more....throw a blower on it and see ya later!!! But I would start with a healthy na 347. JMO

It boils down to are u a N/A guy or do u like the whine of a supercharger, i know im N/A all the way my 333 stroker makes 400RWHP (dynojet) i have seen some blown 331 not make that much, so really u can split a block with either one probably with a 347 and a blower quicker. A good aluminum head and custom cam can be lots of fun:nice:
When did you hit 400 rwhp? :scratch:
Thought you were around 360ish :shrug:

A supercharger should only be installed to compliment a well built engine. If you haven't already done heads/cam/intake, then you shouldn't be looking to supercharge it yet. And remember, any power you put to the ground goes through the transmission. Stock 5.0 transmissions are not built to withstand large amounts of horsepower.

I disagree with rhe Above reply. A superchaeger isn't meant for a fully built motor it can be as well as a mundane driver. Its just a bolt on. With a good tune and proper fuel you could even see better power then some hci kits. Just my .02 I would go supercharger first, it might be all you need for a while then you might decide to go another route.

When did you hit 400 rwhp? :scratch:
Thought you were around 360ish :shrug:

Mustang dynos are known for making 12 to 16% less RWHP+RWT than Dynojet dynos, Dynojets dynos are 99% of what u read in sigs, my car made 360RWHP and 383RWT on a mustang dyno so i added 12% the low side which is 403.2RWHP also i have upgraded a couple things which hopefully added more HP and Torque.

Laser u didnt know there was a difference between the 2 dynos :shrug:

I disagree with rhe Above reply. A superchaeger isn't meant for a fully built motor it can be as well as a mundane driver. Its just a bolt on. With a good tune and proper fuel you could even see better power then some hci kits. Just my .02 I would go supercharger first, it might be all you need for a while then you might decide to go another route.

A supercharger is not "a bolt on."

Mustang dynos are known for making 12 to 16% less RWHP+RWT than Dynojet dynos, Dynojets dynos are 99% of what u read in sigs, my car made 360RWHP and 383RWT on a mustang dyno so i added 12% the low side which is 403.2RWHP also i have upgraded a couple things which hopefully added more HP and Torque.

Laser u didnt know there was a difference between the 2 dynos :shrug:
Yes I am aware of the difference but wouldnt say a particular dyno said your car makes x ammount of power when it was on a different dyno that said it made a different ammount. :shrug: Thats just me.
Your car is impressive and if it were mine I would just stick with the facts. My Cobra made 447 rwhp on a Mustang dyno and when anyone would ask me what it made I said 447 not "500 rwhp on a Dynojet" cause I didnt run it on one.

And DeVus, how is a bolt on supercharger kit not a bolt on? :scratch: You just bolt it up and bolt in your FMU and drive it, no? (I am talking about a Vortech kit that comes complete)

Yes........ It is a bolt on....

A bolt on part is something that is easy to install and requires nothing more than taking off the old part and putting the new one on. You can't just stick a supercharger on your engine and call it a night. Please, stop feeding bad information to people. This article covers pretty much all of the standard bolt ons that are done to a Foxbody Mustang:

5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Article

Just cause it has more parts to "bolt" on does not mean its not a bolt on. I was just watching Project Nightmare getting its Vortch kit and aside from punching a hole in the oil pan it all easily bolted into place. :shrug:
To me a bolt on is something the average guy could do with average hand tools. Something that does not require expensive and specific tools nor require you to get to the "internals".
A supercharger kit is basically like if you had to do a fuel pump, intake, underdrive pullies and fuel pressure regulator all at the same time (yes I know there is more to it then that) and all of those are bolt ons.

Just cause it has more parts to "bolt" on does not mean its not a bolt on. I was just watching Project Nightmare getting its Vortch kit and aside from punching a hole in the oil pan it all easily bolted into place. :shrug:
To me a bolt on is something the average guy could do with average hand tools. Something that does not require expensive and specific tools nor require you to get to the "internals".
A supercharger kit is basically like if you had to do a fuel pump, intake, underdrive pullies and fuel pressure regulator all at the same time (yes I know there is more to it then that) and all of those are bolt ons.

You are absolutely incorrect, but thanks for playing.

Using your logic, everything you install, besides maybe the cam, is a bolt on. Including the transmission, gears and heads. All of these can be done by an "average guy" with "average hand tools."

You are absolutely incorrect, but thanks for playing.
Opinions and ass holes. Everybody has one and they are all full of poopies. :shrug:

From Vortech: "These part numbers are complete systems including all components required for a bolt-on installation by the experienced do-it-yourselfer. All systems are 50-state emissions legal or are pending smog legal. "

ATI: "Bolt-on 50-85% more emmisions legal hp"

Paxton: "These are complete systems including all components required for a bolt-on installation by the experienced do-it-yourselfer"

Opinions and ass holes. Everybody has one and they are all full of poopies. :shrug:

From Vortech: "These part numbers are complete systems including all components required for a bolt-on installation by the experienced do-it-yourselfer. All systems are 50-state emissions legal or are pending smog legal. "

ATI: "Bolt-on 50-85% more emmisions legal hp"

Paxton: "These are complete systems including all components required for a bolt-on installation by the experienced do-it-yourselfer"

So much for being installed by an "average guy" with "average hand tools." Yes, it does require bolts to install it, it doesn't make it a "bolt on" modification. And to think, members of the "Talk Posse" used to be respectable, knowledgeable people.

Yes I am aware of the difference but wouldnt say a particular dyno said your car makes x ammount of power when it was on a different dyno that said it made a different ammount. :shrug: Thats just me.
Your car is impressive and if it were mine I would just stick with the facts. My Cobra made 447 rwhp on a Mustang dyno and when anyone would ask me what it made I said 447 not "500 rwhp on a Dynojet" cause I didnt run it on one.

Thanks Laser...... i do stick with the facts as u see in my sig but to keep it easier for explanation sake with the threads question in mind i went with dynojet figures, saying my car makes 360RWHP for those not knowing the difference between the 2 dynos would be missleading. Glad to hear how u would explain ur HP now :Zip2:

So your saying that a supercharger kit inclines too much fabbing to be a bolt on? Funny that there called direct bolt on kits. Even so you can pick up a self contained kit without having to tap the pan. anything that is colted on is a damn bolt on. So you please stop filling the threads with incorrect knowledge and use the acronym kiss. As in keep it simple stupid , don't get technical because a supercharger is something that can be installed by any average joe

Unless your one of those engine vs motor guys. U no the motor is usually electrical and an engine is usually gas op'd

So u can't say I need motor mounts I need engine mounts. Or so on so forth

89stang1, sorry if I cam off wrong. I didnt mean anything negative or anything. I totally love your car and even if a dynojet said 360 rwhp on your car I would still be impressed. I love your engine combo... cars not too bad eaither. :p

DeVus' WTF is your problem. The vast majority of the modification world calls supercharger kits that require NO FABRICATION a bolt on item. ALL the manufacturers call them bolt on as well. The two kits I have installed were easy bolt on kits and one of them I did before I knew squat about modifications but I could figure out which way the wrench was supposed to turn. Yeah they take some time because there are so many parts but damn near anyone with the slightest mechanical ability can do it.

Now I may be being harsh and came off wrong assuming you knew how to work on your car. If you spent a mint having someone else install a supercharger for you because you were so sure it was not a bolt on then I am sorry. :whine: