Hecho En Mexico

• Sponsors (?)

So I see you ditched the project?

Haha yea, because I can't commit to anything. I've pretty much decided to go Windsor. Sold the Mexi-block at what I paid for it, so no skin off my back. I was going to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to run the Mex, what with retro fit roller lifters, converting it to 1 piece rear main seal, front mount dipstick, etc, so I figured if I was going to drop all the money on that, I might as well just buy Windsor swap parts.

On a side note, I've never sold a car part that flew out of my garage so fast. People really want those damn Mexican blocks, haha.

Reactions: 1 user
You should really thing about selling that trick flow intake and putting a EFI victor JR or super victor with a 4 hole throttle body on the 9.5 deck motor. It will make more power, and will have much better hood clearance.

I think you made a smart decision selling that mexican block

So what are the Windsor plans?

Don't know yet, but I really want to do something super budget. Been reading about all sorts of guys making 600+ to the tire on stock crank, stock rod (usually with ARP bolts) Windsors. Read about a few guys going deeeeeep into the 9s with stock crank Windsors. I wouldn't mind doing a stock crank Windsor, make maybe high 300s or low 400 to the tire N/A, then throw some boost at it in the future and settle in around 650ish on pump gas.. Plus it's fun to say "I did that with stock parts".

Your top end will still make the cut.

Hell yea it will. Haha.

You should really thing about selling that trick flow intake and putting a EFI victor JR or super victor with a 4 hole throttle body on the 9.5 deck motor. It will make more power, and will have much better hood clearance.

I've been looking at doing just that, but I hate the fact that the EFI Vic JR requires a specific fuel rail. I'm also uneasy about giving up all that runner length for a car that will be 99.99% street. Not sure that it would be a complete deal breaker, but how much *ahem* low end torque *ahem* would I be giving up (can't believe I just said that). I'm all about running "enormous" port cross sections, but something about intake runner length tuning spooks me.

Also, those 4-hole TBs are expensive as hell. How they charge that much for something that is basically just a carb without fuel lines is beyond me.

I think you made a smart decision selling that mexican block

I think so. It was all in the name of block strength, and even if a Mexi-block is 100 hp stronger than a stock roller block, it's still weaker than a Windsor. Hood clearance will just be a bridge that I have to cross when I get there.

I think you just gotta drop the runner length 5.0 EFI mentality. For the minor amount of tq you give up you will be rewarded with much more and higher peak RPM power. Dont be scared to spin the motor either. A friend of mine spins his cleveland to 8000 rpms with factory crank and rods. That motor made 400 at the tire and runs 10s and he has less than $3000 motor

buddy of mine has been 5.20's to the 1.8 on a 400 hit with a stock block and a off the shelf eagle assembly. 410" with some off the shelf heads.
went 5.50s with a C4 and a 300 hit
and 5.28(dont hold me to the exact ET) with a glide and a 400.

think he was spinning it to around 7700-8000 range

Haha, I love the stories of astronomically abused 9.5 deck engines. The more I learn about them, the more I'm blown away that people still build stock 8.2" roller blocks! The W is a damn stout engine, that's for sure.

90lxcoupe I'm going to have to do more research about doing a spider-style intake, though I would likely run an elbow and a 90mm TB. I would REALLY like to fit this under a stock hood, and I know it's been done before with fabbed elbows.

If you wanna go under a stock hood get on the bullet and pm novi357

Crank drive f2 427 street car radiator is raised and layed back runs high 8s on 17" radials

90lxcoupe I'm going to have to do more research about doing a spider-style intake, though I would likely run an elbow and a 90mm TB. I would REALLY like to fit this under a stock hood, and I know it's been done before with fabbed elbows.

By the time you buy a fabbed elbow and a 90 mm TB, you are probably really close to what the 4 hole TB would cost. If i were in your shoes, i would put a cowl hood on it anyways, and run a filter on the street and an airpan at the track, my cam guy has claimed big gains with the air pan. Thats what im gonna do with the new motor.

Just something i was thinking of, my new motor, with a 9.5 deck, CHI 4.0 intake, and a dominator(just for reference), was only a half inch taller than my 8.2 deck motor, both measurements were taken from the oil pan rail to the highest point on the motor. I was surprised, i know the Box R intake is tall, but that is borderline ridiculous that a 345'' motor doesn't have much less hood clearance than a 427 with basically a single 4 barrel tunnel ram.

If you wanna go under a stock hood get on the bullet and pm novi357

Crank drive f2 427 street car radiator is raised and layed back runs high 8s on 17" radials

I know the car and have read some of his stuff about fitting it under the stock hood... Freaking epic vehicle. I could only dream to do something like that haha.

By the time you buy a fabbed elbow and a 90 mm TB, you are probably really close to what the 4 hole TB would cost. If i were in your shoes, i would put a cowl hood on it anyways, and run a filter on the street and an airpan at the track, my cam guy has claimed big gains with the air pan. Thats what im gonna do with the new motor.

Just something i was thinking of, my new motor, with a 9.5 deck, CHI 4.0 intake, and a dominator(just for reference), was only a half inch taller than my 8.2 deck motor, both measurements were taken from the oil pan rail to the highest point on the motor. I was surprised, i know the Box R intake is tall, but that is borderline ridiculous that a 345'' motor doesn't have much less hood clearance than a 427 with basically a single 4 barrel tunnel ram.

I'm actually thinking about making my own elbow. I have pretty much unlimited access to sheet metal tools at work, CAD, and I even talked to one of our R&D welders today, and he wants to do it more then me, haha.

Those Box-R intakes are HUUUGE! Those damn things double the height of the engine, ha.

:leghump: Runner length!

When/if I go EFI that is what I will go to, just swap to a super Victor EFI and dyno before and after. I wonder if the runner on the EFI helps mix the fuel with the injectors or something? Cant imagine all these companies making EFI intakes just so they can sell you a upper and lower. Well maybe financial gain:scratch:?

BTW I will build a Dart 8.2" big bore before a 351. Just to be different I guess!!!
Scott

I dont think it helps with the mixing of fuel, if anything, i think it would hurt the process because the air just basically goes thru a massive heat sink before it touches any fuel. Thats where carbs have an advantage, the gas actually cools the intake charge.

Now what would be interesting would be to see someone put fuel rails higher up in an intake manifold and see what it did to peak power and tq, and the powerband/curve. I looked into injector placement quite a bit and found some interesting info, but no real before and after tests with definitive results. It would be cool to see someone put the fuel rails up on top of a box r intake and see what happens to how the motor acts.

Ever seen injector placement on a F1 motor? Its not really even close to anything we do with pushrods, but it is very interesting

Reactions: 1 user