HELP!! Broken wheel stud.

JohnyD05

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Massachusetts
So i was taking my rear wheels off and one of the lug nuts wasn't coming off easy. Then it happened, the wheel stud sheared right off. What do i do? Does this mean i need a new axle or is there a way to replace just one wheel stud?

help asap please.

• Sponsors (?)

remove the rotors, and brake caliper, you prolly have to remove the dust shield as well, more or less strip everything off the hub. once the shield is off you will see where the studs are pressed in. just hammer the old one out and replace with a new one, about 7-11 dollars.

just make sure you hammer it out strait, dont want to warp the hole. and when putting the new one in, do not hammer it in, place the rotor over the studs, put the wheel back on and put 2 lug nuts back on, use the third lug nut and tighten it slowly to pull the stud into place. torque to 80 ft pounds or so, then un torque. remove the wheel and rotor again and see if its seated flat. once its secured replace all the removed hardware.

its not the end of the world... thats how i busted off my wheel locks when i lost my key.

Torinalth

The studs actually go into the hub that is on the axle. It is easy as you can do this without removing an axle.
Just remove the wheel.

Then remove the caliper and allow the rotor to come off.

Take a hammer and screwdriver and tap the stud out STRAIGHT.

With a C clamp,a good sized one and a 16mm+ deep socket place the new stud through the hole and press on it with your fingers to make it squared off with the hub.

Then place the socket over the threads of the stud(where the lugnut would go) and place the c clamp on the back side of the stud head and at the socket and twist the clamp. This will pull the stud through the hub and into position.

Then Install the rotor and caliper

Install the wheel.

This is the easiest way to do this without running into issues where you destroy lugnuts or studs by bottoming out on the stud and all. The best way is to press them in which will eliminate damage to the lugnut or stud. Took me 20 minutes to do.

Reactions: 1 user