help...got into small accident and now car wont start

cb18201

Oct 25, 2003
CT
the other night i smacked a curb and my wheel shattered and then i hit a small tree but plowed it over, nothing on my car is hurt except for that wheel thank God. but now my car wont start, when i open the door the dome light doesnt come on an when i turn the key in the ignition nothing happens, makes no noise at all. but my horn works. i have no clue what is wrong with it. does anyone know what it could be? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Check your battery cables, is the first thing I'd suggest if you haven't already. I'd just start taking a peek at all the wiring underhood to make sure nothing has come undone. Then go from there, also for s*hits and giggles, I'd check the inertia switch if your car is fuel injected.

First check to see if the inertia switch was triggered. If the button is popped up, push it back down. (inside trunk, behind drivers side tail light)

Secondly, you must have blown a fuse. Check all of your fuses, and see if any blew. Replace any if needed, and try starting the car. If you blow the fuse again, then the accident caused a short and you need to find it.
Scott

FIRST place to check is the switch in the trunk as stated above...go into the trunk...behind the driver's side tailight...romove the screw thing and pull the carpeting back...there will be a switch there...push it in if its popped up...its there so your **** doesnt blow up if you get hit :nice:

Anthony

nah it isnt that i tried that, it is wierd, i am getting power from the battery for my horn but something is cutting off power to my ignition and interior lights. i dont get it

i checked all my fuses and all of them are fine. the only thing on my car that works is the horn, nothing else works at all. could it be my starter relay possibly? idk if this could make that happen. also the fuel cut off switch in the trunk didnt even pop up so it isnt that either. is there anything else i could have tripped?

Which wheel hit the curb?

Are there other fuses besides the ones underneath the steering column? I can't remember if there are any near the ABS test switch or not. If there are, check them out.

First, lets do some preliminary stuff. When you turn the key to acc, do you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds, then shut off?

Do your headlights/tail lights/brake lights work?

Try running the trouble codes. Something there may give you a hint.

Also, disconnect the main battery cables from the batter/engine/sidewall, clean & re-attach them. It's probably not it, but who knows.

Secondly, take the battery in and have it tested. One of the zinc plates may have cracked and may not store enough charge to do much, except the small stuff.

I think there is a main fuse inside the engine compartment. Look for it; as it may be the key.
Scott

it was my front left wheel that was destroyed. i checked every fuse in the car, under the steering column and in the engine bay, they all are fine.when i turn the key into the on position the fuel pump does not turn on and nothing happens at all. no chimes no headlights no brake lights no interior lights no anything, just dead. only my horn works. im gonna try the starter relay and doing the diagnostic test. thanks for the help. if anyone else knows anything it might be let me know. thanks

if it was your pass. side wheel i would check and make sure that you didn't get into any wire harnesses in the pass. fender area, thats where they are all located generally.

Did you check the fuse box inside the engine bay as well.

jason

I was hit in the rear and my inertia switch popped and then never worked after that again. I had to replace it, so try one from one of your friends car. It may be a long shot but worth trying and maybe one of your ground wires got damaged prob the one on the block.

well i decided to push my car into the garage today an for some unknown reason it decided it wanted to start, i have no clue why, all i did was push it a few feet an then i got power when i turned the key into the ON position but not when i turn the key back, there is still no interior lights , an the ABS and air bag light stay on when i start the car, it also runs kind of choppy, could i have messed my computer up or do i need to reset it or somthing? my headlghts dont work also

Sounds like you have a real mess on your hands. First, don't start the car or put the key in the ignition again until you find the problem. You don't want to start an electrical fire or something else bad.

First, locate the main wiring harness. Check to see that it's not loose, broken, etc.

Assume, for now, that the wiring problem is on the engine side of the firewall for now. That is where the damage occured, and that is where you should look.

Follow each and every wire from the main wiring harness until it goes into a sensor/part/something. You will need to take off the plastic covering/electrical tape to see all of the wires.

Post back after you have tried these out, and we can go from there.
Scott