HELP Grille and Side Scoop Removal

mustanggtr

Nov 19, 2002
I just got a chrome grille and scoop inserts for my 2000 GT. Anyone have any good tips for removing the plastic screws that hold the radiator cover/grille assembly in place?

Also, I have to remove my side scoops (the entire piece, not just the insert) to put my new ones in. What's the best way to do it without scratching the paint?

• Sponsors (?)

I'll offer up help on the grille, don't know about the scoops. ;)

Getting those retainer screws out is a little tricky (if it's the same ones I'm thinking of). You've just gotta unscrew them as normal, but put a tad bit of pressure on them while turning counterclockwise. Once you see the head of the screw start to come up above the surrounding area, you can let off with the pressure, and just remove as normal.

Be careful in doing so though, if you plan to reuse them. They're plastic, and they strip rather easy. :mad: I stripped 2 myself when I took the honeycomb grille out of my '99 to replace with the eliminator kit. Thank goodness I only needed 2 screws to hold that in instead of 4.

PS: I have some pictures of the process, but I don't know how good they'd be in assisting you in the actual job. It took me about an hour to do the grille swap...could've been quicker if I had a secure-torx bit (you won't need that though if you're just changing grilles).

I added Bullitt side scoops and put on the MAch 1 grill delete. The side scoops come off by pulling them. Take a screwdriver and put a cloth around it to pry it out a little so you can your fingers in there to pull it off.

The grill is a little more difficult. You might as well go ahead and buy you some new plastic screws. They were impossible for me to get out without destroying them.

I was looking into removing/replacing the side scoops on my 2003 GT with a kit to make them functional as rear brake coolers. Does anyone know if this type of kit exists or if anyone has done this type of customization.