Help!! How do I remove Polishing Compound ?????

Katmandu

Founding Member
Apr 7, 2002
Troy, Ohio
Just had a disaster with my car's finish. Like a dumb azz, I foolishly took it thru a local automated car wash. Not the kind with that scrubs the car with rollers or those long strips of cloth, but the kind that goes around the car spraying it.

After I got home, I saw the damn car wash had severely OXIDIZED my car's paint job! :cussin: :cussin: :cussin: :cussin: :cussin: :cussin:

I'm not sure why this happened, but I suspect my car's clear coat finish "may" be worn off and the car wash chemicals reacted with the base coat paint. I dunno fuggin know at this point. :confused: :confused:

Anyways, I knew it needed rubbed back out and for some reason, I chose to use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound.

Now that the TWPC is DRY'd, I'm having an very hard time removing it from my car's finish! :cussin: Also, the TWPC is not bringing out my car's shine.

How the heck do I get this crap off my car and restore the finish ???

• Sponsors (?)

Read the directions -- I don't think you're supposed to let the compound dry.

Apply some more and see if it dissolves so you can remove it.

As for the wash, my bet is whatever you had on your paint before was washed off (due to the pressure) exposing the bare paint (in all of its glory).

Sounds like you're going to have to start from scratch... I'd grab a Mothers Clay kit (available at the major auto stores or Wal-Mart) and try the cleaner wax. If you think you need more shine, try their 3-step system -- Pre-Wax Cleaner, Sealer & Glaze and Pure Carnauba Wax (I like the paste wax) -- they are available at Pep Boys.

Though I'm a little curious as to what you normally use for wax -- but the Mothers 3-step is a great way to go.

polihing compound is not going to make it shine it is to remove scratches and remove imperfections on the surface. u need to re wash your car. (do it yourself with a powerwasher then a bucket of ice that stuff works well. i tryed it. and then put the polishing compound on. dont do half the car at 1 time do little bits at a time only letting it set for a min. then when u get the car all done U HAVE TO WAX to get to shine. polishing compound takes wax off so u wont have any on the car and it wont have that shine or the protection.