help i dont know how to get rear main seal out.

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
well i just dont want to mess anything up. i already have trany out, clutch, and flywheel. im at the rear main seal and dont quite seem to know how to get it out. well i called someone and he said you need some sort of puller. well please respond quickly cause i gotta get this done tonight becuase tomorrow its gonna rain and i have no garage and well i just want it done today. thanks for your help its always appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You can use a small flat blade screw driver to pick it out, just don't scratch the crank. Some use a sheet metal or dry wall screw to tap into the seal then you can pull it out.

Clean that area really good, then put a light coat of oil on the crank, coat the outside of the new seal with a thin layer of permatex and tap it back into place.

The screws didn't work for me, managed to lightly scratch the crank a bit with them. I tried the hydraulic method using wheel bearing grease and made a huge mess ! I couldn't hold onto anything once it got all over my hands and the tools. Know what worked for me ? The hydraulic method using a bar of soap ! That's right, good old Ivory, just keep craming it into the hole and ocasionally tap it with a round socket extention (or something close to the diameter of the hole in the seal) using a hammer. After a while it came right out, and the clean up is a snap too !

BlackGT89 said:
The screws didn't work for me, managed to lightly scratch the crank a bit with them. I tried the hydraulic method using wheel bearing grease and made a huge mess ! I couldn't hold onto anything once it got all over my hands and the tools. Know what worked for me ? The hydraulic method using a bar of soap ! That's right, good old Ivory, just keep craming it into the hole and ocasionally tap it with a round socket extention (or something close to the diameter of the hole in the seal) using a hammer. After a while it came right out, and the clean up is a snap too !

I beleive you are talking about the pilot bearing, he needs to remove the rear seal that is around the crank.