Help me convince my dad to buy the right parts=KB with stock parts

My dad has a 95 GT vert with o/r h-pipe, catback, Griffins (SP?) radiator, Kenne Bell boost-a-pump and a Kenne Bell 1.5L supercharger...everything else is stock. He has been running the KB with 8 lbs for almost two years now, stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock MAF, stock tune, ect. It will ping like no other under WOT. He keeps insisting the car runs fine and but it does NOT. It will kill all the time when you put it into gear unless you give it gas, and of course it surges.

Lately I think I've convinced him to look into upgrading other parts and he's coming around. I've told him probably 42lbs injectors and maybe a 90mm MAF, fuel pump (which he is getting for sure now), but that's it. I almost had him down to get the car tuned where I got my WS6, but after he talked to the guy there and found out it would be about $700 for a tune (something about burning a new chip) he now thinks he can get away with a MSD Boost Timing (BTM) and even a methanol injection.

I don't know how the car is still alive to be honest. He ran the car at the track and it ran a 14.2 @ 9X MPH. He said towards the end of the run he let off. I heard the thing pinging all the way back at the stands. You could tell it wasn't running right because of the smoke coming out the rear of the car. When the Boost-a-pump kicked in nothing but black smoke poured out the car. I'm just tired of trying to help him out and seeing the car put through the abuse. I've tried to tell him the surging will stop, and he'll get more power if the gets the car tuned but he says, "$700 is too much. If the BTM doesn't work, I'll sell the damn supercharger."

So, can anyone give me any help on how to point him in the right direction?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like to me he would like to have 100% of the benefits :banana:
from
The ideas and methods you have presented to him :D

However :shrug:

He also wants them for MUCH less than 100% of the required cash :eek:

Then again :shrug:

I can relate :Word:

I always want Sumpin for Nutin :rlaugh:

Grady

let him blow up his stuff sell the parts or car (with you offering to swap your stuff for his KB stuff). You do what is needed and have him pissed...:D

700$ for a tune...I can see him not doing that. He should look into a tuner/tune though. If he just keeps tossing parts on it, he will blow it up or break something.

Tell him to research and search for what he REALLY needs for what goals he has. Point him here, seach turbomustangs (at least for boost help) and search eectuning.org.

My dad has a 95 GT vert with o/r h-pipe, catback, Griffins (SP?) radiator, Kenne Bell boost-a-pump and a Kenne Bell 1.5L supercharger...everything else is stock. He has been running the KB with 8 lbs for almost two years now, stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock MAF, stock tune, ect. It will ping like no other under WOT. He keeps insisting the car runs fine and but it does NOT. It will kill all the time when you put it into gear unless you give it gas, and of course it surges.

Lately I think I've convinced him to look into upgrading other parts and he's coming around. I've told him probably 42lbs injectors and maybe a 90mm MAF, fuel pump (which he is getting for sure now), but that's it. I almost had him down to get the car tuned where I got my WS6, but after he talked to the guy there and found out it would be about $700 for a tune (something about burning a new chip) he now thinks he can get away with a MSD Boost Timing (BTM) and even a methanol injection.

I don't know how the car is still alive to be honest. He ran the car at the track and it ran a 14.2 @ 9X MPH. He said towards the end of the run he let off. I heard the thing pinging all the way back at the stands. You could tell it wasn't running right because of the smoke coming out the rear of the car. When the Boost-a-pump kicked in nothing but black smoke poured out the car. I'm just tired of trying to help him out and seeing the car put through the abuse. I've tried to tell him the surging will stop, and he'll get more power if the gets the car tuned but he says, "$700 is too much. If the BTM doesn't work, I'll sell the damn supercharger."

So, can anyone give me any help on how to point him in the right direction?

You have already pointed him in the right direction. He needs more fuel and less spark. To achieve that:
1 - Bigger injectors
2 - Bigger MAF
3 - Bigger Fuel Pump
4 - Tune

The problem you're having is one I have with my uncle, who "has been around cars way longer then you've been alive!" and I still haven't convinced him that turbo's make more power then super chargers. A lot of old school guys just don't want to understand fuel injection. Contact Don at LaSota racing for a cheaper mail in tune (Don knows Kenne Bell like no other, having one himself) and he'll set your dad straight. Your dad's car should be running a second and half faster at least.

Adam

I'd say that if he's not ready to spend the money, tell him he should pull that KB off. Do you realize how many kids are prolly running around in ricers, bragging that they "took" a supercharged Mustang. I'm embarrassed for him, for letting that happen. You wanna go fast, it costs money. No other way to put it.

for the love of god don't let him get meth injection!

maybe a scrotum punch will make him realize the errors of his ways.

bigger maf, fuel pump, injectors, and a tune will have it running like a champ. i understand the $700 bucks for the tune, but that is the only thing that will fix that car

let him blow up his stuff sell the parts or car (with you offering to swap your stuff for his KB stuff). You do what is needed and have him pissed...:D

700$ for a tune...I can see him not doing that. He should look into a tuner/tune though. If he just keeps tossing parts on it, he will blow it up or break something.

Tell him to research and search for what he REALLY needs for what goals he has. Point him here, seach turbomustangs (at least for boost help) and search eectuning.org.

He won't go on fourms and research things. He keeps saying his goal is to just to have fun on the street. He hardly ever races anyone.

You have already pointed him in the right direction. He needs more fuel and less spark. To achieve that:
1 - Bigger injectors
2 - Bigger MAF
3 - Bigger Fuel Pump
4 - Tune

The problem you're having is one I have with my uncle, who "has been around cars way longer then you've been alive!" and I still haven't convinced him that turbo's make more power then super chargers. A lot of old school guys just don't want to understand fuel injection. Contact Don at LaSota racing for a cheaper mail in tune (Don knows Kenne Bell like no other, having one himself) and he'll set your dad straight. Your dad's car should be running a second and half faster at least.

Adam

For the money on a mailorder tune, I'd still push for a dynotune. I'll give my dad Don's number and he'll call him sometime in the next few days. Hopefully he can talk some sence into my dad.

My dad knows a ****load about cars, I couldn't have done a lot on my cars if it wasn't for him. I know money is kinda a problem, but my problem is he will throw money away on **** he doesn't need, and then be farther behind then when he started.

I'd say that if he's not ready to spend the money, tell him he should pull that KB off. Do you realize how many kids are prolly running around in ricers, bragging that they "took" a supercharged Mustang. I'm embarrassed for him, for letting that happen. You wanna go fast, it costs money. No other way to put it.

He hardly ever races anyone. I know the last car he raced was a Neon SRT-4 and beat him.

Thanks everyone for the replies, keep 'em coming!

When his engine does blow, I hear that "Adam95GT" has a nice longblock he'd like to sell. ;) (Sorry Adam. I had to do it!)

:lol: :lol:

Adam kinda got scammed. He bought a "forged" longblock that was about to get a S/C but then he ended up finding out that it was stock and was more than likely blown for a while.

Whatever happened with that?