help me figure out what i did

grendel

Apr 23, 2004
ok i put a 9psi intercooled procharger kit on my 02 saleen,it has an a/f of 11.7-11.9 all the way through. had it for about a week and when i shifted into second one time it just died, i started it and i had to keep giving it gas or it would die, it idled like ****. there was no other kind of odd noises like knocking or anything like that. when running there is smoke coming up fro mthe passenger side head, and i only have a compression of 6 in one cylinder and 7 in another. think it could just be a head gasket giving out? if so what kind do yall recomend? i have been hearing to go with ford racing. what yall think?

• Sponsors (?)

it was whit smoke, couldnt tell exactly where it was coming from, but it looked like the header area. my coolant was a little low, and i had some oil on my plugs

If it's a head gasket, the oil will look "milky" (indicating there is coolant in your oil). You might also see white smoke from your exhaust. Let me get this straight: You did a compression test and one cylinder showed 7psi? Or am I being misled? Because 7psi is WAY too low.

Yeah I agree I would grab everything that will give you luck when you tear down the motor. Even with a blown gasket there should be more compression than that. Was the car running hot when the problem occurred?

Not positive on this as I am learning about the 4.6L 9old school 5.0 guy) but did you reset the timing when you put the SC on? I noticed the steeda timing adjusters?

Have you check the fluids to see if they have combined to make the milkshake? And there is always the bad tank of gas possibility as the answer to a sudden gasket failure.

The more you describe the more it sounds like a blown gasket. I just am not sure how vulnerable the heads are to warping on the 4.6's. Hope this helps. I'm sure someone with more experience with the 4.6's will tell you for sure.