Help me get into the 115-116 mph zone!!!

pick up a profestion products intake (they are identical to edlbrock performer rpm I) if you don't mind doing a little clean up on it. They are nice and cheap. For off the shelf cams I really like comp extreme energy series, I would look at one of these grinds XE266HR (part number 35-514-8) or XE274HR (part number 35-518-8). Don't forget to check your piston to valve clearance. what size combustion chamber did you get? ( CR is very important when picking cams

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly for a full weight, N/A car already trapping 111 your gonna be pretty pressed to pick up 5 mph from just about anything not to say it cant be done. Long tubes and more gear will get you a little bit, You could always go with a 331 or 347 shortblock with good compression and get there with the parts you have, or ditch some of the creature comforts and put your car on a diet.

I just saw a guy post up on Corral. He runs TFS heads (stage 2) with the Anderson N-91 cam, Victor intake and 4.30 gears.

Its a 306 that makes 354 rwhp and runs 116 mph.

Like I said b4, more gear, cam and intake. Look to spin the motor past 6200.

jjd975 said:
I would think it will take a bigger cam. Maybe a custon or one of the Anderson Motorsport cams.

Odds are to trap that speed you will need a bigger cam, intake and more gear because you will need to spin the motor past 6200.

its got stock pistons with small valve relefes and with al heads and only 9.1 or so CR ratio its going to be tough to get a big cam in there that fits and works right. That is the other reason I recomend the XE cams (or a good cutom one), they are very good at keeping cylnder pressure which is critcal in a low CR situation like this.

bdazzgt said:
Tell that to someone running in a 10.5 DR class :nonono:

Yeah but hes not running drag radial and neither is 80 percent of drag racers at the track so why waste his money on something that not gonna help him.

It just kills me when guys talk about running faster, and they start putting control arms and springs on a car that hasnt made it out of the 13's yet.

COP TZER said:
Yeah but hes not running drag radial and neither is 80 percent of drag racers at the track so why waste his money on something that not gonna help him.

It just kills me when guys talk about running faster, and they start putting control arms and springs on a car that hasnt made it out of the 13's yet.

It depends on what your doing. There are NO fast NMRA or heads up cars out there running stock stuff. These guys spend money on suspension and it shows. I too run stock suspension, and havent touched it yet, but there is more to be had with a good set up under the car. Every combo is different, and by telling someone dont waste money on suspension, you would have to know ALL the criteria.

Personally he has some left with the things everyone has said, and could see his 116 mph traps. But without hooking 116 mph wont be used to its full potential. I say go for both, hook and power, and get the car running hard!

If all he is looking for is MPH than making the car hook isnt gonna increase MPH.

For example:

If he ran 12.85 @ 109 on radials and the car swipped the tire maybe once or twice.

If he puts sticks on it and thats it i bet he runs in the range of 12.65-12.70 @ 108-110.

We can talk about our dream Drag Radial classes all we want. Point is this guy isnt running DR and doesnt have no where near the power a DR car would have so why waste his money.

COP TZER said:

I agree I have 100% stock 4cylinder suspension with front and back sway bars. Everything a 4cylinder car came with from the factory. 1.65 60ft on motor and 1.47 60ft on Spray. But there does come a point when you need to do some suspension work.

I understand when we talk mph, but then again most racers dont only worry about mph. You were mentioning timeslips and thats what Im talking about. To get the best timeslip a stock suspension isnt the best way to do so. I agree its expensive, the reasons Im running a stock suspension, and with this guy if all he wants is mph than he doesnt need to spend the money. But what fun is a 12.6 @ 115, when you can go 11.8 @ 115 if it hooks? :D

Yeah, its hard to get traction with a stick car. I know with a lot of the guys I run with, the shock the tires give hits too hard to just run any old stuff under the car. Again every car is different, but from what I have seen, the guys with stock suspension arent running the times the guys with built suspensions are.

bock said:
the lower one was ported to fit a felpro #1262 head to lower gasket.

Ported or unported the gt40 isn't going to cut it. Great intake, i love it, used to have one, but there are much better out there, remember the gt40 and cobra are 15 year old designs, alot of the other are less than 5 years old.