help me please!!!

phil5.0lx

Nov 27, 2006
okay so i bought an 87 2.3 5spd that needs some work, previous owner replaced the head for his daughter but she got in trouble so he never finished the job, i finished putting the rest of the front of motor together(timing belt, accesories, etc..) put a battery in her and she turns over fine but will not fire, so i tried one of those little spark tester deals and the coil is not firing. where do i start to diagnose this problem? i see that there are two wires coming out of the pigtail from the coil, a green with yellow stripe and a red with light green stripe, suppose i need to check to make sure voltage is coming to one of these but which one? and when key is on or is it constant? or do i need to have someone cranking the motor?
i know this is a lot of questions and sounds kinda stupid but i don't want to just throw parts at it and figured someone here could help me.
also (and this is going to sound REALLY dumb) but what is the T.F.I module? and where is it located and what does it control?
thank you guys/gals

• Sponsors (?)

It's the same as a TFI on a 5.0 Phil. It's the grey module mounted beneath the head of the distributor. Did you get the gear timing right on the belt? The crank, cam, and the aux shaft need to be set right on those models.

well i'm not getting any spark from my coil, would the timing belt being off cause that? does the auxilary shaft run the distributer? and i'm not real sure if it's on right the previous owner already had it on.

wow so this weekend i worked on the mustang trying to get it started, went to the salvage yard and picked up a coil bracket (didn't have one) and pretty much the entire engine bay wiring harness for 20 bucks (my harness is pretty hacked in some places) i checked for voltage at the pigtail going to the coil (9-12 volts) and checked the coil for resistance and it was the same as the new coil i picked up from the parts store, while i was under the hood looking around i noticed that PO who had replaced the head and stopped mi project had never hooked up the fuel lines, so wrestled with those for a bit and got them hooked up, but i am not getting any fuel pressure (or at least after cranking it for awhile i pressed on the shcrader valve and no fuel came out) i suppose it could just be out of fuel (boy would i feel like a dumb ass) but i was wondering if there is a fuse for the fuel pump? i already reset the shut off switch in the trunk and still nothing, hell i can't even hear the pump kick on when i turn the key. any help or advice is greatly appreciated

under the drivers seat is the fuel pump relay. when the ignition is rolled over to start the engine there is a 12v signal from the ecm is sent to the relay closing it and allowing 12v to energize the fuel pump. off hand I don't remember which wires are which, but you can check the colors or use a multimeter to ring them out. My relay went out and I jumpered it out till I got it fixed. had to remove it when I shut the engine off, cause it ran all the time

okay, i'll look at that this weekend. any other suggestions? my car is in my shop which is quite a ways away from my computer, so i drive out there everyweekend and try and get it going, but when i only have one thing to look at and that does not do it, then i have to wait till i get back to my computer on monday to ask questions, so the more things i have to check the more productive my time is (plus i get to work on my car more which is truly relaxing to me) so any other suggestions? just toss em out. i need all the help i can get :)