HELP me!!! Seems to be a problem with my clutch/transmission.

KStrike155

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Danbury, Connecticut
A few weeks ago, I notice a slight "thumping" noise in my car. You can actually feel the thump underneath your feet in the driver's seat. It sort of seems like something is hanging on a string underneath the car and swaying back and forth, hitting the floorpan in the process...

This sound came back a couple days ago. Today my dad and I tried to narrow it down. We shook the entire exhaust system, checked the headers, etc. for loose bolts and whatnot. The new C/C plates and springs are installed correctly and as TIGHT as possible. So I put the car in REVERSE and let out on the clutch a tiny bit:

"clunk clunk" it's usually 2 or 3 clunks.

It is only 1, MAYBE 2, and they are much more subtle while letting out on the clutch in FIRST gear.

Does ANYBODY have any ideas as to WHAT THE HELL this could be!? I hate having stuff wrong with the car :(

The sound CANNOT be heard on the outside, but can be heard and felt on the inside clear as day. Thanks for any input guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say almost sure its your mounts. I had two cars do that for no reason. Also, once the mounts were warmed up it seemed to get worse. Retorque the bolts and see if it goes away

My car has always had a slight clunk when putting it in gear. Ford tech told me it is 'normal'. I've put 50K miles on it with no problems. Doesn't mean you may not have a problem but I thought I'd let you know my experience