help me spend 5-6k

blackjack21

Aug 11, 2008
GA
i want a twin screw super charger......whipple or any other suggestions..kenne bell....i want the most bang for my buck!!!!! please help me choose one for my 2008 s297 gt 5 speed manual, 4:10 gears and a few other mods:nice:
i have the ford catalog, but i can only find "whipples" for the 07 and under..please advise!
click the link on my sig for a video of my car's transformation, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you are getting a whipple you better get it before the 15th (order it). They are having a price increase of $1,000 bucks on August 15, 2008.

If that is out of your price range after the price increase, get the Roush TVS. I would then get Kenne Belle, then Saleen. TVS has a loud whine like the whipple (if not louder), KB is damn near silent, and the Saleen tops out around 15-16psi (all other others are good to over 20psi).

Best thing to do is find a custom tuner who installs them near you. You really need a dyno tune to stay safe and make sure your engine lasts a long time. If you want to install it yourself, then make sure you get a good email tune and get to a custom tuner ASAP.

When I was looking at blowers, I had decided on Saleen because it had a nice whine, a lot of expandability for what I needed (wasn't trying to go over 550HP), and Brenspeed had a great installation deal.

Go turbo. The newer turbo kits are really nice, you have more options, the price is the same as for most superchargers, and heh it can save you a mpg or two :rolleyes:

Plus nothing replaces that sound....a V8 turbo'd sounds dam sexy.

Go turbo. The newer turbo kits are really nice, you have more options, the price is the same as for most superchargers, and heh it can save you a mpg or two :rolleyes:

Plus nothing replaces that sound....a V8 turbo'd sounds dam sexy.

I would agree here. I would have gotten a turbo but there were no guys down here that had much experience installing them but they could tune them pretty well. But I didn't want my car to be down for 2-3 months. I only waited 3 or 4 weeks without my car when I put the s/c on.

Example, turbo kits|chassis|accessories - Turbo Horsepower has a base kit for 4k with everything you need. You can get a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, etc, etc...You can get a full kit with upgrades for less than a s/c for the most part.

I would suggest you select a blower that matches your other mods and your intended driving/racing style.

If you like instant grunt, then a twin screw or roots style is the way to go. However, with your 4.10 gears, you will have so much instant grunt that you're always going to be lighting up the tires.

If you like a car that can launch without a bunch of fuss (or wheelspin), but pulls harder and harder as you approach redline, then a centrifugal blower or a turbo is the way to go.

Like you, I already had 4.10 gears before I started shopping for a blower. Plus, I had a big stall converter which puts me into high revs at launch, so I didn't want a blower that worked best at low rpm's as I'm never in that rev range. That narrowed it down to centrifugals and turbos for my particular combination. Turbos were too much money for this working guy on a budget, so I ended up buying a Vortech V-2 VQ standard S-trim (non-intercooled) for just $3700. For that price, I got the blower, all install hardware, 39# injectors, 2nd fuel pump, and handheld tuner with basic supercharger tune. Paid $900 for install, and I've got about $400 in custom dyno tuning done. So grand total, part, labor, tax, tune, etc. was $5,000. With a safe conservative tune, and measured on a Mustang chassis dyno, my otherwise 100% stock engine/exhaust is putting down 351 rwhp (about 440 hp at the crank). I suspect a Dynojet dyno would report closer to 380-390 rwhp (about 480 hp at the crank). That's a lot of bang for the buck for the low cost. Other blower kits can provide bigger numbers, but also cost a lot more, so you get what you pay for.

true dat,
but if your going for 500hp it doesn't matter really you will burn tires easily anyways. No matter what type of super charger. If you spending $5000 i wouldn't want less than 400-450

A buddy of mine has the same Vortech blower I have, except he added the intercooler and full exhaust (long tubes, O/R x-pipe, axle back) and at 10 psi boost he's putting down 470 rwhp (about 550 hp at the crank). The guy that dyno tuned my GT has a Fox-body GT vert with a Vortech YSI centrifugal that's pushing 1,000 rwhp (obviously very modded). Easy to make turbos and centri's put down big numbers just like a positive discplacement blower.

While you're correct that you can blaze the tires regardless of which forced induction setup you choose, it is still much easier to launch a turbo or centrifugal car without violent tire spin as they don't make nearly as much torque down low versus a twin screw or roots blower, but they come on strong as the revs climb. This allows for a car that is more tractable, IMO.

I've owned a few big-block musclecars, and certainly enjoy the rush of instant torque, so I can appreciate the similar torque curve of a roots or twin screw blower, but if it's just going up in smoke then it's a waste. Most street cars and daily drivers can't run drag radials or slicks year 'round, so a turbo or centri makes for a quicker car on the streets as they hook up easier.

There was a guy that did the Roush SC on another forum, for the life of me I cant remember were I saw it, but basic skills will do, he said the intructions were VERY VERY detailed and he posted pics of the ENTIRE INSTALL ... do a search in google. Either way for about 5,500 go roush! THere great and they back the crap out of there product ! PLus that wine you like ! Good luck in what ever you get BUT you might want to think about getting a lower gear set like 3:73's if your worried about roasting the meats all day !