Help my car idles too high

• Sponsors (?)

BoostedmaxPSI said:
I just went thru this same issue and found a hole in a cap from the vacuum "T" on the back side of the intake manifold. Replaced the cap with a new one and my RPM's dropped back down to normal. This was on my '68 stang with a 289 and C4.

That's why when you spray carb cleaner around the base of a carb to see if the rpms pick up indicating a vac leak. It is correcting for the leanness caused by the leak.

Ozsum2 said:
Mine is an Autolite 2100. When I proposly make a leak, it bucks like a mule, and damn near dies untill I get the gauge on.

Ozsum, it depends on where you make the vacuum leak, if it is stealing most of the vacuum from one cylinder it would make a skip as it would lean out that cylinder, however most vacuum leaks do increase rpm. If it doesnt, your probubly running to lean normally. Keep in mind that when you step on your gas pedal all you are doing is letting in more air. the carb is giving the mixture. If the vacuum leak is too much it will lean out and die, but it takews a pretty big leak to do this.

WORTH said:
Ozsum, it depends on where you make the vacuum leak, if it is stealing most of the vacuum from one cylinder it would make a skip as it would lean out that cylinder, however most vacuum leaks do increase rpm. If it doesnt, your probubly running to lean normally. Keep in mind that when you step on your gas pedal all you are doing is letting in more air. the carb is giving the mixture. If the vacuum leak is too much it will lean out and die, but it takews a pretty big leak to do this.

So...............another situation where both is right. I make a monster leak by pulling off the modulator hose and the engine freaks out. He has a minor leak and the rpm increases. Glad we got that cleared up.