Help on adjusting Automatic Choke

estevaf

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2001
São Paulo, BRAZIL
Hi, Guys.

I have installed a brand new Carb (Holley 5200 2V) that I got from e-bay.

It is working beautifully but I am having some difficulties trying to adjust the automatic choke (it is electrically assisted).
I am not sure if this adjustment is even needed.

The problem is that the choke plates seems to be opening too fast. Due to that, the car fails to keep runing because the engine is still not at the right temperature.

After some testes, I realized that I had to adjust the fast idle screw, which I did.
But if I blip on the throtle soon enough, then I loose fast idle and the engine stops (unless I stay in the car controlling the idle).

One of the tests I did was going to the engine compartiment and closing the choke plates a little bit. Then engine runs nicelly when it is not warmed up, even with the fast idle not active.

Anyone out there knows how to easily adjust the automatic choke so that the choke would take a bit longer to open?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I hooked mine up to a wire from the alternator that supplies 12V when the car is running. I'll have to look to see which terminal it was.

The time to open is controlled by loosening the 3 screws on the side of the choke spring housing and rotating it. With the engine cold, loosen the 3 screws and rotate the housing until it just begins to open, then rotate it the other way until the choke is closed, then rotate an additional 1.5 notches and tighten the 3 screws.

Info on adjusting the fast idle cam can be found here:

Holley Performance Products Frequently Asked Questions

I hooked mine up to a wire from the alternator that supplies 12V when the car is running. I'll have to look to see which terminal it was.

Sort of but not really.

IIRC power for the electric choke comes from one of the stator windings which will not give the full 12 (or 14.5) volt rms.

Also IIRC, powering an apparatus other than the choke from that terminal will cause problems like a buzzing in relays.

So the electric choke cant be powered by system voltage.

That is, IIRC. Which I may not.