Help on pinion bearings!!

Boosted92LX

It's only an inch or two. What's the big deal?
15 Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
Been fighting this dang thing all day.

Pulling 3.08 gears, going in w/ used 3.73's. I bought a FRPP install kit expecting to get timken bearings, and got koyos. Looked at the pinion and in paint marker is a -0 along with some other jibberish I can't make out... so I throw .030 of shim on it, and put the koyo bearing on it. I slip on the NEW crush sleeve and go to pull it up and the pinion practically locks up before I can get even .005 crush on the new crush sleeve. I've pulled it out a dozen times, inspected it, can't find anything wrong..... SO, I whacked on the old crush sleeve and opened it up .020+ or - .005 and SAME THING, I get no crush this time and the pinion locks up.

All I can figure is the Timken races I left in the housing aren't ground on the same angle as the koyos and they are binding when I load them. Before I s-can them has anyone used these bearings in timken races? I know it's not advisable, but I don't wanna attempt pulling and replacing races with this rear end in the car...

I'm tired.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I've figred it out, (i'm hoping)and I'm going to post the answer to the problem(hopefully), so maybe it will help someone in the future. I went into town this morning and bough a set of timkens and compared them to the koyo bearings in the koyo races. There is a definite difference.

CLIFF NOTES: Do not use Koyo bearings out of FRPP instal kits unless you use the races that come with them! I'd stick with Timken anyway....