HELP - Paint chipping on new paint job (PICS)

Milenko

Skid Mark Layer...only not fro
Founding Member
Nov 5, 2001
Boston, MA
I just got my drivers side door painted and blended the rear quarter and front fender because I got in an accident and needed to replace the drivers side door.

I had a yellow door put on my moonlight blue GT. My car was fixed less than a month ago, and now the blue paint is chipping away and yellow is VERY visible.

Before:
1.JPG

After:
2.JPG

Current:
spot.JPG

What do I do?

• Sponsors (?)

what a cheezy job, he didnt even bother to remove the paint and smooth the surface?

call him up, i would demand for him to fix it, because thats bs.. if not, theres not much you can do but blow your steam off at him, and take it another shop to hopefully touch up..

where did you get the paint job done? they may be helpful, especially if they stand by their work. they SHOULD have sanded it down, primered, then repainted. but we all know how some shops can get with certain jobs. otherwise i say go to ford for some touch up, and get ready to do some detailing!
good luck with everything!

The orange peel looks horrible. It also looks like you can still see some sanding marks. I would take it back and tell them you don't want their 5 year old to paint the car this time.

just a quick question, on my drivers side the panel right above the window and the triangle type shaped (lol dont no whut to call it) panel are scratched to ****, anyone have any estimate at all as to how much i would cost to have a shop re-paint that section? and where do i find the paint code on my 99 gt?

rjstaaf said:
The orange peel looks horrible. It also looks like you can still see some sanding marks. I would take it back and tell them you don't want their 5 year old to paint the car this time.
Those aren't sanding marks...it's salt from the road...I washed the car today at one of those car washes where you do it yourself and I did it pretty quick so I didn't run out of time. Just trying to get the bulk of the salt off...Car looks perfectly fine when clean...other than those chips.

Definitly the result of bad prep work, thats shameful. Take it to them and demand the work to be done properly. If they give you stuff you can always threaten to talk to BMW about the bad quality work they did. Hope all goes well!

I would NEVER NEVER take my car to any body shops that deal directly with any new car dealers. These type of body shops usually try to take shortcuts and do bad quality work. I once took my 1985 Honda Civic S back in 1987 to a bodyshop out in Natick, Mass. who was doing all the bodywork for Bernardi Honda. I thought that they were a good bodyshop. They put a brand new left front quarter panel and a brand new front facia and bumper and a brand new rear windsheild on my Honda. When I got the car back there was some small overspray on the edge of the door from when they painted the quarter panel and the interior of the car was all dusty and dirty from the bodyshop dust. I ended up cleaning the interior of the car by myself and living with the overspray. The overspray was not that noticeable because the car was a gray metallic color. ANyways, I will never deal with any bodyshops who do bodywork for automobile dealers. They all like to take shortcuts and do bad work. That's just from my experience. Go to a bodyshop who does work for private parties only. Don't use one that does work for new car dealers. They are all theives.

Your door definitely needs repainting. As many have already said the prep work was obviously horrible. The door should have been sanded, primered, smoothed, and then painted. This obviously didn't happen. The touch up idea that was mentioned won't really work. First of all the touch up paint is not going to want to adhere to that yellow paint very well. Secondly, the touch up paint you buy from Ford never looks right. The touch up paint they will sell you is a lacquer based paint. Your basecoat is urethane. Lacquer on urethane always looks bad. Everyone who really cares about their car's appearance should invest in a mixed batch of urethane touch up paint. It is more expensive, but it looks much better. If the person you buy it from knows what he's doing he will add reducer to the touch up to help it sink into the chip.