Help wiring amp

gtstang8706

Jun 11, 2007
Alright, Ive done this before but im always looking for a better, neater way of doing things. Im currently adding a kicker amp and 2 10" comps with a custom fiberglass box that i just finished, however, i want to find a good remote turn on...any ideas? Last time i wrapped the remote wire around one leg of a fuse! I guess that was kind of hacked! Also, as far as getting the signal to the amp, i will have to use a line out converter I guess. Any recomendations on where to tap in from? Are the rear speakers ok? Im not sure if they're full range because of the shaker 500 subs in the front. Last time i did this in my 04 gt i got a whining noise from the subs even when the radio was off. I def want to do this right in my 05. Any recomendaions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Im guessing you don't have an aftermarket head unit? The wiring harness has a specific wire that is labeled remote, all you have to do is splice into it. You may be able to find it on the back of your stocker if they are labeled on the back. As for the line out, there are ports on the back of aftermarket head units specifically for subs. I guess Im saying you need an aftermarket head unit to make everything easier. You will also be able to control the way your system sounds much better with an aftermarket head unit. If you could post a picture of the back of the stocker I may be able to further help since I no longer have one.

No, I'm keeping the stock head unit and the shaker 500 system. Im just adding a couple subs for some extra bass. Ive done this before in my 04 gt but I guess i kind of hacked it to say the least! I want to find a real remote and as far as the line out converter, Im not too sure as to which wires to spice into in the speaker. Are there just two wires or is it a harness that i need to figure out which wires go where?

The reason im confused about the loc is because in my mind i only see 3 wires necessary. Pos, neg, and ground, and every converter that i look at has like 7 wires, all different colors! Looks confusing!

The reason im confused about the loc is because in my mind i only see 3 wires necessary. Pos, neg, and ground, and every converter that i look at has like 7 wires, all different colors! Looks confusing!

if it is a line coverter like this... http://cgi.ebay.com/VAL0R-HI-LO-CON...ryZ50549QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem then all you do is figure out with wires are your front left and front right +/- wires on your factory wires (4 wires). once you figure out which wire is which just use your diagram and splice into them. but it would be alot easier and better control of your sound with a aftermarket head unit. you can find them pretty cheap if you know what model to look for. try looking at the alpine CDA-9813 and CDA 9815, ive had both and got them for around 150-175 of ebay. if you get the aftermarket h/u i think you will be glad you did

Ive been told to get an aftermarket h/u but i really wanna keep the stocker for now. Is it ok to get the signal from the rear speakers in my trunk with the line out converter? Also, any ideas on how to get a good remote?

Ive been told to get an aftermarket h/u but i really wanna keep the stocker for now. Is it ok to get the signal from the rear speakers in my trunk with the line out converter? Also, any ideas on how to get a good remote?

yeah i guess you could tap into the rear speakers but ive never really used a line out so im not really sure, and as for the remote, if you dont have a aftermarket h/u i would just do what you did last time, wrap the wire around an ignition fuse in the fuse box.

and once you get everything in let me know who it went. i am thinking about getting a system also and i was wondering how tough it was to get the wires to the truck

yeah i guess you could tap into the rear speakers but ive never really used a line out so im not really sure, and as for the remote, if you dont have a aftermarket h/u i would just do what you did last time, wrap the wire around an ignition fuse in the fuse box.

and once you get everything in let me know who it went. i am thinking about getting a system also and i was wondering how tough it was to get the wires to the truck

it was pretty easy, went along the passenger side, rubber boot under the fender well for access into the car, along passenger kick panel, side trim, back seat, and under trunk carpet. All of these parts simply pull right off, no bolts to break plastic!

And as far as the amp goes, there is no three wire combination as "neg" and "ground" because those two are the same thing. You can have positive leading to the amp that supplies the amp its power for the subs, you have a negative (or ground) wire for the amp, and a remote wire for the amp that is what turns it on from the head unit. The inline converter is what would eliminate a remote wire, turning on the amp from the signals coming from the speakers.
So......no matter what, a left negative and positive and a right negative and positive wire from the rear speakers to the amp have to be hooked up. That is how the subs receive a signal.

From Crutchfield:

No preamp outputs on your receiver?
Most aftermarket receivers provide preamp output from RCA jacks. In this case, an RCA patch cable carries the signal from the receiver to the amp. If your receiver does not have preamp outputs, many amplifiers feature speaker-level inputs, which have built-in converters which step the speaker-level signal down to a preamp-level signal acceptable to the amp.

You can access the speaker-level signal by stripping a small section of your vehicle's right and left speaker wires, and splicing in wires that lead to your amp (similar to splicing into your receiver's turn on wire — see the Amplifier Installation Guide). Note: Tapping into speaker wires in this manner does not affect the performance of your speakers.

If your amp doesn't have speaker-level inputs, an effective and inexpensive line output converter will help you step the speaker-level signal down to preamp level. Then run an RCA patch cord from the converter to the amplifier. Make sure the patch cords supplying the musical signal to the amplifier are kept well away from potential sources of noise, such as brake light wires or rear window defroster wires.