help with hatch latch and alignment

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
the hatch striker bushing broke a while back, and i put a door one on there. seemed to work the same, it was a little too short and slid up and down but it worked. so the other day the one i had on there broke, so i got dorman part number 38424

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-15607-38424.aspx

from advance to hold me over, however now i have to kinda slam the back hatch to get it to shut. is my only option to get the 50 dollar striker and bushing from ford if i want a permanent fix? latemodel sells replacement striker bushings for the doors, but not the back hatch, and i put a door one on it and it broke. the door ones didn't hold up so well either, i ended up putting the oem ones back on.

also, i think some how my hatch has gotten shoved back. the gap between the roof and hatch looks fine, equal, about the same it always did, however if you look at it by each tail light, it looks like its shoved over to the driver side some, and the gap between the driver side tail light and bottom of the hatch is bigger than the passenger side. you can also see a faint square where the latch mechanism is hitting the weather stripping. the only way to align this is to just loosen it and put it where i want it? the car did rear end someone a while back, could that very well be a problem with the chassis being out of alignment?

this is the passenger side gap

2011-12-29_08-38-15_406.jpg

driver side

2011-12-29_08-38-23_331.jpg

and the gap at the top

2011-12-29_08-38-38_909.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-12-29_08-38-15_406.jpg
    2011-12-29_08-38-15_406.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 408
  • 2011-12-29_08-38-23_331.jpg
    2011-12-29_08-38-23_331.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 2011-12-29_08-38-38_909.jpg
    2011-12-29_08-38-38_909.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Sponsors (?)

Your striker is out of position. The striker is the only adjustment on a Fox hatch. It's a little too far to the left and may be too far down as well, since you have to slam the hatch harder to get it to close. Just loosen it slightly and try a few different positions.

yeah i tried messing with that, the thing is is that i think the bushing on the striker is too thin. can anyone with a ford one, or oem measure how thick theirs is? mine is kinda loose on the striker itself and it slides easily. i tried raising the striker a little and it would shut but didnt seem to be holding it down hard enough. i feel like its harder to shut no matter where it is. so i need no adjusting at the top of the hatch, like the bolts that hold it to the roof? if i slide the striker over to the passenger side will it line back up like i want it to?

so i need no adjusting at the top of the hatch, like the bolts that hold it to the roof? if i slide the striker over to the passenger side will it line back up like i want it to?

At the front, the hinges just bolt to the car. When I got my Saleen, the hatch was off a half an inch to the left. Adjusting it with the striker, it is now perfectly centered. It might take a few tries, but there is a huge amount of adjustment. Being off center may be why it's hard to close as well. When I get home I'll measure my striker bushing.

moved the latch over and it lines up and shuts much better. its still off a little however, i can stick a finger between the hatch and body above the tail light on the passenger side, but cant on the driver side. its correct from left to right however. and it shuts better.

wythors man i appreciate it ill mic mine out tomorrow