Help with Long Term plan?

Vaikran

Mar 11, 2011
My overall goal is to do enough modifications to give it low end and mid range power but i want to put Twin Turbos on it for Higher end power. I have a Stock GT 2007 i would like help setting up a plan with what i should do for now with limited money while i save up for twin turbos. What kind of parts and a detailed explanation would be nice. Please no stupid and useless comments like go with a blower. Im not to knowledgable about stuff like this tho i am interested in learning and would like help. I talked with a guy and idk if his plan is good but he suggests i start with a cold air intake and a "super chip" and new exhaust for low-mid range power and then use a twin turbo kit.... also if you could suggest brands to use thanks

Oh yea unless somebody knows how to fabricate twin turbos with a supercharger then i would wanna go with that instead... and what kind of fabrication and changes would need to be made to support that

• Sponsors (?)

If you plan on going with twin turbos at some point, then the headers would be a waste, since you would have to get rid of it to install your turbos. From a horsepower stand point, shorties will give you nothing, and long tubes might give you 25 hp? A CAI and a canned tune might give you 15 hp? But if you are looking at installing a turbo system, you will have to trash the CAI, and load a new tune as well. So if you are planning on installing turbos, leave the engine alone, because pretty much anything you put on, you will have to remove when you put the turbo system on. If you do anything to the engine, then you may want to consider rebuliding it with forged internals if you plan on going over 500 hp. If you don't plan on going much over 500 hp. then leave it alone.

Turbos and centrifigal superchargers are typically set up to get peak hp at high rpms, where as roots and twin screw superchargers will give you more hp at the low end and mid range.

In regards to setting an engine up to run in a desired rpm range, the only thing that will really do this is the right cam for the desirted range. Turbo cams are typically a lot different than supercharged cams, which are different than high performance naturally aspirated cams. So I wouldn't swap cams untill you get you turbo system, and then get the right cam for the set up.

Don't worry about the low end and mid range if you are planning on going turbo or supercharged. You will make make more low end torque than you ever use. In fact, they biggest problem you will run into is trying to put 500 hp to the ground.

In regards to supercharging on top of turbocharging, (typically know as compounding) I would say just stick with a traditional turbo system or a traditional supercharger system. You will get more than enough hp out of either one alone. There is a company call Hellion that sells compounding kits for 03/04 Cobras and GT500's. I do not believe they have a setup for componding a 3V. Typically, they turn the boost on the supercharger down way low on these systems, and in the end, don't really make much more power than either a well setup standalone turbo system, or a well setup standalone supercharger system. They are also really complex, expensive, and definetly not smog freindly, so check the smog laws where you live first.

With a stock 3v engine, there are multitudes of turbo kits and supercharger kits that put out 430 - 520 hp without doing anything else to the engine. This might be a good place to start.

Why do you want to go twin turbo? Turbo's are a pain in the ass especially on a street car the plumbing is insane and they constantly require maintenance and the car will run like crap most of the time. There is a reason why there are 2 dozen manufacturers that make blower kits for Mustangs and like 4 turbo manufacturers. Forced induction is very expensive so unless you're a millionaire stick with the proven combo's.

Why do you want to go twin turbo? Turbo's are a pain in the ass especially on a street car the plumbing is insane and they constantly require maintenance and the car will run like crap most of the time. There is a reason why there are 2 dozen manufacturers that make blower kits for Mustangs and like 4 turbo manufacturers. Forced induction is very expensive so unless you're a millionaire stick with the proven combo's.

BS!

Although I have a twin screw setup, there are some kick ass and reliable turbo cars out there.

There are quite a few manufacturers who sell reliable turbo kits for S197's; Hellion, Turbonetics, HP, STS, Garrett, etc. If these systems are installed correctly, and tuned correctly, they can be made to be very streetable and reliable.

The fastest and most powerful S197's out there (by a big margin) are turbo'd. There are turbo'd combos that will put out more than 1500 hp on a mod motor. Granted these cars are mega bucks and not streetable ... but you just couldn't get to those hp levels with a sc'd setup.

In regards to 2 dozen supercharger manufacturers' you can throw about half those units in the trash can for being inadequate. The only descent setups are: KB / Whipple for the twin screws, (Roush / Eforce) for the TVS roots, and ATI / Vortec / Paxton for the centri's.

The SC'd sytems can be just as tricky as the turbo systems when it comes to tuning. I've also seen some pretty insane plumbing on a centri systems.

I have not seen that many threads with issues related to turbo install issues, and I'm on 4 or 5 different boards. Show me 10 threads for issues with a turbo system, and I can show you 10 threads for issues with a sc'd system.