Help with rear tire rub

lojo1

Mar 10, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I need some suggestions to help me fix this problem with my 92 Notchback. I purchased the car a few weeks ago and the last owner told me it has "some" wheel rub. By the look of the rear left tire it has a lot of wheel rub. The last owner was about 300lbs and I only weigh 184. So I'm sure he experienced more wheel rub than I have so far. It only noticeably rubs with me when I hit dips on the road or freeway. The tires are 285/35 ZR18. The lowering springs are Manzo, which I've honestly never heard of. I looked at some reviews and there were quite of few saying they bottomed out easily. The shocks are OESpectrum and I have no idea how long they've been on the car. My question is what suggestions can any of you give me to eradicate this problem? I've included pictures of just about everything you can see with the tire removed and the tire on.

Thanks!

IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3836.JPG
IMG_3838.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3860.JPG

With me sitting on the trunk weighted down.
compressed.PNG

• Sponsors (?)

Probably a lot to do what that dog :poo: lowering spring. I run my tires much closer than that with my team z springs and I have no rubbing 99% of the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree the springs ain't doing there job but you should also keep an eye on the tire rubbing on the inner wheel well.

Reactions: 1 user
Are the fender lips rolled? Try the wheel without the spacer. What's the backspace/offset for the wheel.
Fenders are not rolled. I'm not quite sure how to calculate the backspace/offset buy I'll give you some tire dimensions if that helps.

12" wheels. 10mm spacer. 7.5 inches from inner wheel to vertical line of mounting face. 4.5" from vertical line if mounting face to outer wheel.

I pulled this off the internet.

1647781567796.png

Note where rim width and backspace are to two different points. From the rims I have seen and measured, the difference between measuring inner wheel lip to outer wheel lip and the rim width dimension is usually around an inch.

Recheck the dimensions for backspace and forward space - not shown but would be from the mounting flange to the front lip. So place a straightedge, a ruler or a level across the rim lip (not the tire face as you do have some tire bulge).

From the dimension you gave, you would have a 36-40mm offset. What model Mustang are they designed for because that is S197 or S550 offset numbers.

As I said above, take out the 10mm spacer and your rubbing may just go away - or do you start hitting something on the inner side (control arm, shock)?

Further to the above thoughts ...

To compare your setup to mine, I have 18x9 rim with 24mm offset (would give about 6" backspace and 4" forward space). I have an 8mm spacer (just because rim to fender lip looks better) and run 275/35/18s (I will be going to a 285 or 295 next time). Here is what my rim/tire to fender lip look like...

20211231_150920.jpg 20211217_181135.jpg 20210703_210631.jpg

Doing some quick math, if you took out your 10m spacer, your outside lip should be almost the same place mine is now.

Last edited:
I pulled this off the internet.

1647781567796.png

Note where rim width and backspace are to two different points. From the rims I have seen and measured, the difference between measuring inner wheel lip to outer wheel lip and the rim width dimension is usually around an inch.

Recheck the dimensions for backspace and forward space - not shown but would be from the mounting flange to the front lip. So place a straightedge, a ruler or a level across the rim lip (not the tire face as you do have some tire bulge).

From the dimension you gave, you would have a 36-40mm offset. What model Mustang are they designed for because that is S197 or S550 offset numbers.

As I said above, take out the 10mm spacer and your rubbing may just go away - or do you start hitting something on the inner side (control arm, shock)?
Okay thanks for that info. I actually measured on a flat stick placed across the backside of the tire. I'll do it from the rim when I get off work. And I'll also remove the spacer to see if it hits and other surfaces.

If I remove the spacer the tires will severely rub the inside fender wells.
That info should have been in post #1 or #6.

Recheck your rim measurements because I have not heard of a 18x11 rim on a Fox before (based on you measurement I would think that is what it is - any casting numbers on back of rim, usually offset is cast in them). Mine.

20210313_140123.jpg 20210313_140316.jpg

Roll the fenders, you can get a $40 tool off Amazon and do it over a weekend. Just take your time, use a jack to push the axle up and put pressure on the roller. Plenty of Youtube videos out there

I feel like if you get some better springs on there, it’ll help with your rubbing.

Mine don’t rub, but your tire is a little but wider than mine. Here’s a 275/60r15 on a 9.5in wheel

96388E9A-6D55-44D7-B45A-8353ABB84666.jpeg

EA537936-782A-4CA9-9CAA-4EDBE1FD3499.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Watched the video made by 417FOX. Ordered the roller and it arrives tomorrow. Thanks

Nice, yea I watched that same video, if you care about your paint then just make sure to do it very gradually and take your time. No reason to rush it. 18's look good on a fox but they're big, and so are 285's, rolling the fenders should set you up nicely and ease your mind on the tires.