hesitation around 2800/3000 rpms

Yea, unfortunately they did not fix my car's problem either and i'm telling you, it's a bad pissy irritation to floor it and have the car sputtering like it has a mucked up carberator... Wow man, this must be one of those problems the computer can't detect so we're left to the intellegence of the mechanic and well ... Car still broke with less than 2k on the odometer...

Depressing to have a new car sitting the garage that drives like an old beater 20% of the time...

help.........

• Sponsors (?)

I also have the 'hesitation' issue - New GT, 2400 miles, 5spd. It's happened 3 times, all the same - hard acceleration in 2nd gear, as you are pushing, the engine just 'misses' - like fuel stops for a millisecond, then continues. It's not consistent but hope someone has an answer that I can take to the dealer.

Hard acceleration shouldn't cause engine misfires.

I don't know what the rpm's were when it happened, but I've had a hesitation also. Mine happens just after coming off the freeway, stopping, and then taking off again. When I go to take off I get a big hesitation. Someone on this forum suggested it was the traction control. If I have it turned off it doesn't hesitate. Not sure if this is the same issue or not but thought I'd throw it out there.

dealer said i needed a new spark plug on cylinder 8... i am getting my car back tomorrow. i am not confident that this is the end of the story... does not add up.

Ok, thank God......... I now can enjoy my mustang...
The tech working on my car said cylinder 8 had a faulty spark plug........... Not sure how the (insert explicit here) that happened, but my car runs normal now...

Time for mods!

For the rest of you, I know that a faulty plug from the factory sounds really suspect, but thats what they said it was and my car runs good now, so you might want to have your plugs checked or at least find out which cylinder is having the misfire, then change the plug or coil pack or both...

This doesnt sound like a faulty spark plug since there are many of us with the same problem on acceleration. It certainly isnt an octane problem. Our cars run well, except for this hard to figure out hesitation issue. The problems seem to be for most of us somewhat random, and thus hard to exactly pinpoint.

Has any dealer or has Ford acknowledged the problem? Is this something on a certain run of GTs or was this a common problem from the beginning?

i think waht some people are experiencing is the engine torque management system. when you get on it and the computer sees too much power going through the drivetrain, it cuts the throttle. it is most often noticed under hard accelleration shifts..... just a thought for some of you, not all.

Kachina said:
This doesnt sound like a faulty spark plug since there are many of us with the same problem on acceleration. It certainly isnt an octane problem. Our cars run well, except for this hard to figure out hesitation issue. The problems seem to be for most of us somewhat random, and thus hard to exactly pinpoint.

Has any dealer or has Ford acknowledged the problem? Is this something on a certain run of GTs or was this a common problem from the beginning?

Well yea I said in a previous post that it did not seem like a spark plug issue, but thats what the dealer replaced after finding that my cylinder 8 was misfiring. DId you take your car to the dealer to have it checked out?

When i had the problem it would misfire frequently at low rpms...
Good luck.

I didnt take it to the dealer yet - it doesnt happen all the time and I need some more info to have them look at it. I think that bigcat had the right idea in looking at the engine torque mgmt system, though I dont know how that all works - my problem felt like a throttle cut out. One issue is that it is inconsistent and not easily duplicated. More random.

Good luck man, I hope you are able to get it straightened out. Must be something different then my problem I guess. Though, dealer may still be able to hook it up to diagnostics and catch the problem?

At any rate, let us know if you get it figured out.
Later,
Will

I've got a 5spd manual and haven't noticed the problem... except with my cruise control on. Once in a while with the cruise on, I'll push the button to speed up and it takes a second before it happens. It's usually around 65-70 mph. I'm guessing it's the crappy drive by wire.
Has anyone experienced this hesitation after getting a tune?