Hey Billy

TOM B

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 15, 2002
Harrisburg Pa
I see you run a 4000 stall converter with your 347 stroker. Im new to stall converters and need info. How high do you have to rev it to get the car to move and when do the tires burn. I dont really understand this. I dont want to smoke the tires every time I pull out. I was going to get a 2500 converter for my 347, 65 stang. Please help, I dont want to buy a converter that just dont work the way I want,,,, Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

TOM B said:
I see you run a 4000 stall converter with your 347 stroker. Im new to stall converters and need info. How high do you have to rev it to get the car to move and when do the tires burn. I dont really understand this. I dont want to smoke the tires every time I pull out. I was going to get a 2500 converter for my 347, 65 stang. Please help, I dont want to buy a converter that just dont work the way I want,,,, Thanks

I'm not Billy, but the 4000 stall converter should act "almost" like a regular converter during normal driving. You may notice a slight increase in rpm as you start to accelerate. The stall really doesn't start until you hold the brakes and mash the accelerator. Depending on how good your brakes are and the amount of torque the motor puts out will determine the stall you're able to get. It may not reach 4000 because the brakes may let it creep. We've got a 4000 stall in our race car and its all i can do to hold it on the line and get above 3500. The 4000 stall will also build more heat due to slippage, so a good tranny cooler is recommended.
As for torque affecting it, our Super Gas car had a 5500 stall Hughes converter. With the 396 it would stall at 5300-5400 with the trans brake. With our 468 (860hp) it would stall to 5800.