High Idle and vanishing antifreeze...

sweet93hatch

Apr 21, 2004
Like I said before, I am new to the 5.0, formerly a 2.3L turbo owner. I am experiencing some probs with my new 93 lx. Firstly, that harness that plugs into the throttle body on the upper intake when plugged in idles very high, sometimes up to 3500rpms. If I unplug it, it lopes like a 9 second car sounds. Also, for the life of me I cannot pinpoint where my coolant is going. I drive about 75 miles per day. If I top her off with coolant, about 4 or 5 days later my overflow is empty and my radiator is down a bit. My low coolant sensor comes on because I can't keep coolant in the overflow tank. Tonight I took the overflow off and filled to the brim with water and watched. Nothing, no leaks at all. Any ideas on either? Thanks in advance. Oh, on a brighter note, a chevelle kept messing with me on the way home from work. I try not to street race all that much, (well, I try anyway). Anyhow, I coulnd't take it anymore and the third light we came to I did a cop check, heated up my Nittos and smoked him like a cuban cigar. By the time I grabbed third, it looked like he gave up. Good times. My 2 chamber flowmasters with no pipes sound crazy wicked. Gotta love it. :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

That cylinder shaped piece hanging from your throttle body is called an IAC (idle air control) valve... try removing it, and cleaning it out with carb clean, you can re-install with the same gasket. If that doesn't cure your idle problem, try getting a new one, or junkyard one.

The coolant thing could be a few things i guess, but my best bet would be a leaking heater core. If so, there should be coolant coming out of the hole in passenger side firewall, behind your headers.

Keep posted if you fix it, and nice kill too. :D

Holy crap... good call dude. It's summer here in Michigan so I haven't turned on the heater yet. I went out and fired her up and when I turned on the heater, my cab filled with antifreeze fumes. Bad heater core alright. Good call. Thanks a ton!!! :hail2:

sweet93hatch said:
Holy crap... good call dude. It's summer here in Michigan so I haven't turned on the heater yet. I went out and fired her up and when I turned on the heater, my cab filled with antifreeze fumes. Bad heater core alright. Good call. Thanks a ton!!! :hail2:

Glad i could help, your in for a pretty big job!! Do a search on the forums and you'll find tons of threads about changing your heater core.. when you do, remember to only buy an OEM ford replacement core from the dealer, all others won't last! :nice: