High RPM Miss at WOT

GTJake

Founding Member
Oct 28, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey Guys--I haven't been on here in awhile. (I got a little bored with the hobby-- busy with school and more importantly no new parts were coming :rolleyes: )

I'm wondering if the miss is fuel or spark related. I can spin the car out in all gears up to 6k with 3/4 throttle, but at WOT there is a bad miss in the upper rpms.

I've read alot about the hall effect sensor in the dizzy going bad and causing some problems like this.

I wonder if it's my fuel injectors though? My highway mileage has gone from 26.5 mpg when I put the car together to 21-22 mpg now. The fuel filter has been changed and the pump is a 255 lph Walbro that went in a few years ago. Weird thing is, the car sits right at 14.7:1 on the wideband at cruise. :shrug:

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Jake

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure on the spark/fuel gut feeling. I'll have to get on the freeway soon and check it out (I'm trapped in Dearborn right now).

I was thinking about swapping the dizzy and seeing if that takes care of it. I'm thinking either dizzy, TFI or injectors. Possibly the regulator...:shrug:

Jake

Ok...looks like the miss is causing a lean condition.

So what should I be looking for in a tweecer datalog?

Issues:
High RPM WOT miss
No miss at ~3/4 throttle all the way to 6k
14.7:1 A/F at cruise, but loss of 4mpg on highway
255 lph Walbro high pressure pump (3 years old)
Stock fuel pressure regulator
24# injectors FMS (3 years old)
Stabil used when car has gone into storage each fall.
-Anyone heard of any issues with Stabil? My buddy said it chewed up rubber o-rings in his dads car.

The gas mileage went down before the miss started. The miss started after a 12 hour trip from Minnesota to Michigan.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Jake

I didn't do any logging because I don't have my laptop (at some friends place for the weekend).

I was just looking at the wideband gauge and did a few WOT pulls. It would sit at 12.7 until the miss started and it would go to as high as 16:1.

I'm just confused what could cause bad gas mileage at cruise (with a stoich A/F) and a lean spike only at WOT at high rpms.

Anyone have anything like this happen?

Jake

OK Jake

This is really a WAG :shrug:
you do know what a WAG is ........... don't you :)

Wild Azz Guess ;)

O rare occasions when working with the transfer curve ......
I've seen CalEdit change a cell value to something really hokey :(

When you get your tuning stuff back, see if a cell in the high end
of the curve is outta place.

Grady

Tables look alright.

I guess the stator goes out from extended exposure to heat and this problem started after a 12 hour drive to Michigan. I think I might try replacing the distributor, but before I spend the $100 on that I'd like to see if anyone else has any other ideas???

Jake

That's hard to tell from outside the car, but it sounds a lot like what mine was doing. Mine would just fall on its face after 5k or so and cut out hard. When I was on the road and at WOT, when it would cut out I would go from pressed hard against my seat to making the seat belt actually lock I was going forward so fast.

MSD dizzy? I've heard chitty things about them while research my problem. I went with an original one from NAPA and it's so smooth now. (I went to Autozone and they f'ed up and gave me some pos that didn't even fit).

Good luck...let me know if you got anything else.

Jake

Mine keeps accelerating, just a little slower. I need to adjust the rockers, since this problem showed up not too long after I adjusted them last time.(One came loose, so I did them all) It's been suggested that maybe one or two are too tight.

I've heard some bad things about MSD too, which is why I was thinking the dizzy might be the problem. I'll try the rockers first since that's free. :)