Hit for Illegal Tint

2k3 4.6 GT

Aug 21, 2003
Madison, WI
:( :( :nonono: :mad: :bang:

I was on my way to go and meet my mom for lunch, and just as I was about to pull into the parking lot at Olive Garden, a stupid cop follows me in, with his lights on. He comes up to me... "You have illegal tint. You don't have a front plate. And, you were speeding, 51 in a 40."

He took a little box, held it over my window, and it read like, 24.5% (legal for front windows in WI is 50%). He said "I'm going to give you a citation for illegal tint. I will just give you a warning for speeding and for no front license plate."

$156.20 & 2 points. Ugh. He said if I take it off, and go to court with proof, they will drop the fine and points if I plead guilty.

So, I'm thinking I have to take it off :notnice: I really can't afford any more points on my license.

What should I do to take it off? Anyone else had this happen? Did you just re-tint it right away again? That's what I'm thinking I should do. Just remove it, take a picture, go to court, and then tint it again.

Anyone have any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno, down here it is a little different. All they do is write a "fix it ticket" which states what is wrong. You fix it, find a cop and have them sign off saying the thing was fixed.

I believe it is a 0 point think if you get it fixed. Never thought you could get points for a non-moving violation?

I'm in WI too. I can't believe you got a ticket for that. Did you ever get a warning for it???? I had a friend with a really dark tint that got pulled over like 5 times and just got warnings. Talk to the DA or something and see if they will drop it.

I've learned to take pictures of my car BEFORE i put any tint on it. That way i can bring those shots to court and show the judge that it has been removed. Too late now i know but for those who are getting illegal tint something to think about.

No, I've never gotten a warning for that before. I'd rather have this than a speeding ticket...But still...It sucks.

The lady that works at the place where I got the windows tinted said that the WI State Troopers love to just go and nab people with dark tint. She said city cops will leave you along, but it's those damn state troopers. That's who got me too.

Hum...You know, I do have pictures before the tint! Hehe...Just not with the body kit though...

The thing is too, I can't really say "Oh I didn't know" because I signed a waver at Eclipse when I had it tinted saying that I understand that I'm putting illegal tint on my car...Although they don't necessarily know I went there...Hummm...

I didn't think that tint was a moving violation here... I know they were pushing for that in IL...I guess that must be like that here too. I'll have to see if I can find out from a lawyer or something if it really is supposed to be points. If not, screw the $150, I'll pay that and just keep it...It'll cost just as much to take it off and put it back on...

:( I don't like state troopers.

Why would you take a chance of getting in trouble with the law by putting
illegal tint on? :shrug: There will be plenty of times you can get in trouble
in the stang without worrying if your tint is too dark? :notnice: Is it that
important to go super limo dark. Nice subtle tint looks better IMO. :nonono:

00VERT GT said:
I've learned to take pictures of my car BEFORE i put any tint on it. That way i can bring those shots to court and show the judge that it has been removed. Too late now i know but for those who are getting illegal tint something to think about.

They let you bring in a picture to prove you took it off? Not too smart on thier part.

I just got one for tint and no front plate. I dont have any hole and didnt want to drill any so I just paid the fine. Its kind of stupid they let you either fix it and have it inspected or you can write them a check and they will drop it. Its like paying them off to do something illegal.

In WI, if you get 12 points or more within 12 months, you lose your license. The points slowly drop off, so it's not like next year you can go out and get more points... It's to make sure you don't commit too many crimes. Like with speeding, you loose 3 points if it's up to like, 10 over, 4 up to 20 over, and 6 points if it's over 20. In WI, all moving violations carry a point value. I was already down like, 7 points before. That's also how our insurance hits us. "Oh, 7 points...High risk." ugh.

I like it dark too so no one can see in. I just have always had a really dark tint, and this is the first time I've had a problem. Lots of people around here go dark.

I got a copy of the law too...It says "50% for front side windows, and 35% for all rear windows."

So I don't know if I should try and pull off the picture of it when it was new, or not...

I just got pulled over a few nights ago for speeding. The cop was nice and let me off with a window tint ticket. It read 4%, and he said that if i get it taken off, it's only $27, but if i dont get it taken off, it's about $50. No points on my license though, but if i get pulled over again for my tint, the fine will go up. I'm just gonna pay the $50 and leave my tint on. It will cost about $50 to get it removed, then another $100 or so to get it put back on....so not worth it. That sucks that you would get points on your license for that :notnice:

I fill your pain dude.......I racked up over 400$ in ilegal tint fines in my last car. We don't get points cus its not a moving violation. But they never got me for just tint. One time, i rolled into a DUI check point......busted for tint, once I wrecked, no ticket cept for tint. Another time i got a 76 in 45 and tint ticket. Thats the last time I got a tint ticket cus they told me next time, jail and impound. I took the car that weekend, had the ilegal ripped off and the legal put on. My stang has legal and it looks pretty damn good. You can see it if you search for a message from Pewterpony that says pictures of my lowered stang

With my 20% tint I usually feel okay when it comes to being around cops, but I do always roll both of my windows down (or atleast crack passenger side) to allow as much light in as possible :D

I cant believe it costs that much for the ticket, I got 2 last year in my car 15% sides (IA), one by a trooper and one by a city cop, but they do not go as moving violations and only cost me ~$40 each time (not worth it to take it off) but in your case, im sure you could rip it off, get the ticket thrown out and save the points to make insurance cheaper, then get the sides re-tinted for less than $150