Hitting the Wall

joeythesaint

Feb 9, 2003
Seattle
Having the first work done on the II by a professional shop. When putting the engine and tranny in I bumped the #$%&ing dipstick tube against the #%!*%^&*ing firewall and knocked it loose at the side of the tranny. It's been leaking steadily for months, about half a quart every two weeks whether it's running or not. Nothing major -- I just keep topping the tranny fluid off every week -- but it sure looks uncool having all that smoke coming out from under the car. (It drips right onto one of the pipes.)

We don't have a lift so I can't get the tranny to drop far enough to get a good crack at it. (And there's an exhaust pipe in the way, as well.) So I had to take it to a shop. I bet they're hating me right now.

I was so proud of having done all the work (except the machining on the block and heads) myself. And then foiled by one little thing.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

I'm waiting to hear back from the shop on the price of the repair. They've had it for three hours, so I hope I'm not wrong on my diagnosis. Looking at it, it appears I could fix it in thirty seconds if I could just get at it. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

A couple things to mention....

There is nothing to knock "loose" about the dipstick being in the trans. It has an O ring on the trans end, and slips into the case. It then bolts to the bellhousing, via one of the bellhousing bolts. I can't see how you could have "knocked it loose".

Also, the trans shouldn't leak fluid from the dipstick when it's not running. The fluid should not be that high. Are you running a mismatched dipstick and tube? The II has a specific length dipstick and tube, you can't mix and match from a regluar C4, or you'll overfill that sucker (or underfill it depending on how it's mismatched).

The dipstick tube is not hard to take out. Just remove the one bellhousing bolt and pull it out. Replace the O-ring, and pop it back in. You can use a little silicone on the trans end if you want for extra sealing. Also, make sure it's not CRACKED where the O-ring sits. That's a common issue.

I hope it's not cracked. I know the tube is bent a bit, and it sure looks like it's leaking from there.

It definitely leaks when it's not running. It appears to leak considerably more when it's in Park and running.

EDIT: I got this tranny from a 3rd party with a fresh rebuild & shift kit; he said it was for a II, but he may have been crazy. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the tube and dipstick are mismatched. Everything else on the damned car is.

Thanks, Sal.

Just went down to the tranny shop. The guy says it's not the dipstick tube; it's leaking from the cooler lines on the passenger side. He wants 3 hours of shop time plus parts, about $300. Maybe more, because, "I've never done this before. Might take longer. It's gonna be a booger."

Heck, I put those lines on; I'll fix it myself at that price. It's nasty work but it's not $300 worth of nasty.

The way I figure it: drop the driveshaft, remove the Xmember, drop the tranny, and snug down the lines (hopefully not having to re-tap the threads). Swear a lot, put it back together, apply Band-aids to hands and forearms, and then drink beer and spin brodies in the driveway until it gets dark.

Did I miss anything?

I was always the brake and fuel tubing guy at the shop, because I can bend the 3/16", 5/16" and 3/8" lines by hand without any kinks, and I can make it look exactly like factory, which is important to me. I almost enjoy that kind of work. I always check out the fuel and brake lines on cars at shows, and I get annoyed when I see something cobbed up.

IIRC there is a company calle "Just Lines" or somthing similiar that makes new pre-fomed trann, brake, and fuel lines for older cars. They may have a set for the II available. I know i used a new set in my buddy's 70 Mustang coupe and they fit really well and were only about $66. This was a couple of years ago.
How's that Tunnel Ram doing? I post on CHR every now and again in the SBF and BBF engine forums (aswell as a couple others) and haven't seen you around.

Let's not forget to share those .mpeg driveway brodies :nice: :nice: :D