Hone-O-Drive anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

my only warning is to be careful with that thing on the drag strip, especially with the drag radials. from what i understand there is some type of sun gear in it that won't take the high shock loads of slicks or drag radials and it will spin in the case, once it does that the thing is done because there are no replacement parts available, also i have heard that under high shock loads it can shear the pinion retainer bolts. otherwise it's a very stout unit. i'v always wanted one of them just for the nostalgia of it and because i think that extra shift handle (they used an old style bolt throttle control) would be so cool looking sticking up out of the console. if you ever want to sell that thing let me know, i've really been wanting to find one for my 69 cougar as it is the same or very similar unit to what was used in the 69 cougar eliminator "streep scene" car that used a 2 speed rearend.

Now I'm looking for that "old style boat throttle control" for my shifter and found nothing. Anyone have an idea where to get one?

here is a pic of the actual unit in the prototype. i'm looking around to find something similar

Attachments

• 69-cougar-2-speed-rearend-prototype-shifter-in-console.jpg.jpg
    69-cougar-2-speed-rearend-prototype-shifter-in-console.jpg.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 99
If the day comes that I am not happy with it or switch over to a 5-speed then you will have dibs... but for now it is mounted up and set. All I need to do is figure out the shifter and I'll be on the road again.:nice:

When they were installing these in Baldwin-Motion cars high traction shock loads weren't an issue with the old hard tires they had or really even the slicks available back then either.
What a trip down memory lane. How I remember the big spreads Baldwin Motion used to publish in Popular Hot Rodding in the '71-'72 era. I think I had a mail order catalog too. Hone-O-Drive was always a featured product. As I recall they'd tout a 4.56:1 gear to go with the Hone-O-Drive.

For those who don't know, Baldwin Chevrolet on Long Island teamed up with a local speed shop called Motion Performance to market Camaros with 454 engine swaps. They called them "Phase III's." A pic:

71BMCamaroLHS.jpg

They also gave the Phase III treatment to '68-'71 Corvettes, which we now call "C3's," first with L-88 427's then with LS7 454's when they became available in the '70 model year:

69bmgt2.jpg

Check the kustom headlight kit. Also, that nest-of-snakes header and side pipe setup was the ultimate of kewl at the time. They offered it for Camaros too. This product was not a Baldwin Motion exclusive; they were actually pretty common on Corvettes in the early '70's.

Here's something else I collected on my trip through Google land -- a collection of Baldwin Motion magazine ads from the '60's:

View attachment 338867

Attachments

• 71BMCamaroLHS.jpg
    71BMCamaroLHS.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 69bmgt2.jpg
    69bmgt2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 67
yeah Motion performance was definitely the act to follow back then, thats why Joel's (Joel Rosen was the guy who owned Motion Performance) cars bring such big money these days. even ol' Shels cars couldn't keep up with a Baldwin Motion car at their peak. that doesn't way me away from the ford camp at all but it was definitely impressive. he would guarantee that one of his cars would run 11 second 1/4 miles which was way impressive back then condsidering that even hemi cudas were stuck in the 13's off the showroom floor. i don't think anyone else back then would guarantee that kind of performance from a street car, may Mr. Norm' Grand Spaulding Dodge but that would be about it. pretty sure Joel's guarantee was the car would run 11 second times or he'd give you your money back, to my knowledge he never had to give anyone their money back. he's building cars again now too, BTW, still under the Motion name as well.

Cool stuff to see for sure. Here is a link I found on the internet that has some info about the hone unit.

http://www.stangerssite.com/honeodrive.html

I'll go out and snap some pics as soon as the kids are in bed.

already got that one saved but thanks anyway. i've got a couple of other pics i've been able to find over the last couple years but there isn't a lot of info about, much less pics of these on the 'net.