Hood Pins "ARE NOT" My Friend

Well i didn't get to make it to the track tonight, so i decided to go for a little cruise. Well since i just got the MT ET Streets on the car, i figured i would do a little test launch on them. Well i launched and got up to about 80-90 MPH and BOOM! It was dark out, and i didn't realize what had happened instantly, it happened so quick. I had a friend driving behind me and he said he saw it fly up into the air above the power lines.... I'm just lucky it come down and land on another car or cause an accident. Well the damage does suck, but it defiantly could have been a lot worse. It just sucks that i was finally coming to the end of the build on this thing then something else has to happen. It destroyed the hood but I'm really surprised that a fiberglass hood held up that good, the cowl area is crushed and the roof has a huge dent in the center of it. The hood pins rattled out I'm guessing, I always check them before i go anywhere. The only thing is i put the pin through the bottom instead of the top because it doesn't scrap the paint that way, so I'm guessing the rattles loose and fell out the bottom.Well here are some pictures.

2263326229_04a3ae9900.jpg

2263328379_4c16725927.jpg

2264118472_77e59f34d5.jpg

2264120338_89518f3631.jpg

2263334251_6085d9f4b6.jpg

2263336147_4dc40e5846.jpg

2263338349_527c8a85f1.jpg

2263341085_0317f860d9.jpg

2264131472_5c59e68908.jpg

View attachment 330439

Enjoy The Pictures.... I know sure did :notnice: :notnice: :notnice: :notnice:

-AJ

• Sponsors (?)

:eek:

That sucks. Sorry to hear. That cowl area damage is going to be the biggest PITA of fixing things. :(

It actually wasn't all that bad in person, when i get a new cowl thing it wont look to bad.... I think the roof is gonna suck the most, well actually the hood sucks the most cuz its gonna cost me some money. I'm pretty good with fiberglass so i was thing i might be able to fix it myself.

I'm making this hood a full pin on and getting rid of the back hood brackets and buy different hood pins that cant fall out.... I guess this is what I get for buying cheap ass pins.

-AJ

I don't get why this **** happens so often? i have a fiberglass hood with no pins and a latch.. i've had it up to about 110-120 and i've had absolutely no problems.. same thing goes for every car i've ever owned...?

Well i launched and got up to about 80-90 MPH and BOOM! It destroyed the hood but I'm really surprised that a fiberglass hood held up that good, the cowl area is crushed and the roof has a huge dent in the center of it.

The hood pins rattled out I'm guessing,
I always check them before i go anywhere. The only thing is i put the pin through the bottom instead of the top because it doesn't scrap the paint that way, so I'm guessing the rattles loose and fell out the bottom.

I feel for you man... and sorry that it happened to you. but once again I've got to call it operator error!! pins or no pins!

I plan on putting on some hood pins as well as using my factory latch. I dont like the way they look necessarily I just want them for a safety net. Obviously the factory latching system needs help, two pins on the hood beats hood, roof, cowl, windsheild damage.

post a picture of your hood pins.

i do not see how they "rattled loose." most pins have an indent in them that "locks" them in place, or a hoop that goes over the top of the pin. it sounds like you installed them incorrectly.

the damage sucks, but next time i'd install them how the directions say to

post a picture of your hood pins.

i do not see how they "rattled loose." most pins have an indent in them that "locks" them in place, or a hoop that goes over the top of the pin. it sounds like you installed them incorrectly.

the damage sucks, but next time I'd install them how the directions say to

You cant really install them wrong... Its a pin through a hole.... goes either one way or the other.

But I'm now thinking someone would have to stole them when the car was sitting in the Target parking lot. I know they were in when i first got in the car at my house, so they either were stolen or rattled out, but like someone else said its almost impossible for them to come out.

-AJ

You cant really install them wrong... Its a pin through a hole.... goes either one way or the other.

But I'm now thinking someone would have to stole them when the car was sitting in the Target parking lot. I know they were in when i first got in the car at my house, so they either were stolen or rattled out, but like someone else said its almost impossible for them to come out.

-AJ

I'd actually be pretty inclined to believe this theory more than others. It seems a virtual impossibility to ever have a nice car without some a-hole feeling compelled to screw it up for you in some way, either by keying it, backing into it, door-dinging it, etc. ... or, in this case, being a jackhole and pulling the hood pins out, because understandably, it's probably not a common habit for most guys to check to see that their hood pins are still in place before they hop in, crank it, and take off.

In the future, I would recommend either buying some hoodpins that you can tether to the radiator support with cable in such a way that they can't simply be stolen (maybe ugly, but cheap insurance) or start making it a habit to check for the presence of your hood pins every single time you're about to get in your car and go somewhere ... and keep an extra pair of hood pins in the glovebox, just in case some buttnugget does decide to steal the pins again.

Seriously ... I hate people. I really, really, REALLY hate people. :fuss:

I'd actually be pretty inclined to believe this theory more than others. It seems a virtual impossibility to ever have a nice car without some a-hole feeling compelled to screw it up for you in some way, either by keying it, backing into it, door-dinging it, etc. ... or, in this case, being a jackhole and pulling the hood pins out, because understandably, it's probably not a common habit for most guys to check to see that their hood pins are still in place before they hop in, crank it, and take off.

In the future, I would recommend either buying some hoodpins that you can tether to the radiator support with cable in such a way that they can't simply be stolen (maybe ugly, but cheap insurance) or start making it a habit to check for the presence of your hood pins every single time you're about to get in your car and go somewhere ... and keep an extra pair of hood pins in the glovebox, just in case some buttnugget does decide to steal the pins again.

Seriously ... I hate people. I really, really, REALLY hate people. :fuss:

I am most likely going to do some type of cables for the hood pins, might be ugly but it will save me a lot of time and money if it ever happened again.

-AJ