Hood Pins???

gungfusemaj

Dec 13, 2003
Bradenton Fl
I just bought a Cervinis fiberglass hood and my main concern is my hood flying up
I have seen it happen. The hood has a piece of metal where the latch meets and I was wondering if that is enough i really dont want to put hood latches,pins or what ever you want to call them, does anybody have one of these hoods, do you need the pin's? My friend had a fiberglass hood and it did not have the reinforcment latch under the hood and yes he was running like a raped ape but what happen eas the hood latch broke the fiberglass eventually cracked and stretched and broke........ :shrug: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I use them on my factory metal hood just because my latch was really messed up and it was easier to use pins. I think they look good, if i could actually get pictures to post on her i would post a pic for you but i must be doing somthing wrong. I vote to go with them, although i know its hard to drill into a brandnew hood :shrug:

i'm not sure what post and i cant remember the guys nickname, but he had this red flamed lx with a 5 inch cowl that came up and busted his windshield and destroyed his roof, and he had 6 hood pins on it and every one ripped off. I read an article a while back in 5.0 about a true street guy who had his fly up and do the same thing, and his insurance company totalled his car for it, and he had to buy it back and get a salvage title. I'd pin the crap out of it if i were you, besides they look racey. Get the nice billet ones, not the cheap 5 dollar Autozone jobs that rust and leave rust water stains on your paint.

Here's a pic of my crappy Cincinnati Composites 4 inch cowl, complete with those same crappy hood pins mentioned above:
attachment.php

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
i'm not sure what post and i cant remember the guys nickname, but he had this red flamed lx with a 5 inch cowl that came up and busted his windshield and destroyed his roof, and he had 6 hood pins on it and every one ripped off. I read an article a while back in 5.0 about a true street guy who had his fly up and do the same thing, and his insurance company totalled his car for it, and he had to buy it back and get a salvage title. I'd pin the crap out of it if i were you, besides they look racey. Get the nice billet ones, not the cheap 5 dollar Autozone jobs that rust and leave rust water stains on your paint.
Here it is....
StangBangRicers said:
"And here is the last run of it, before I sold it...

http://www.kingsoftheroad.com/movies/Craig/BabbBoom.wmv

Pay close attention to the end of the run. Right when he cross' the 1/4 mark, and you can see his hood fly up and shatter!! :nonono:

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
i'm not sure what post and i cant remember the guys nickname, but he had this red flamed lx with a 5 inch cowl that came up and busted his windshield and destroyed his roof, and he had 6 hood pins on it and every one ripped off.
Geez, how the heck would 6 hood pins come off? That's gotta suck. I'll prob. look for a fiberglass hood that also uses the stock latch and i'll add hood pins as well for extra security...

I remember talking to a guy that had all his pins rip out of the hood and and the hood busted the windsheild. he blamed it on a crappy hood though...still got more pins for the new one (had 4, got 6 or 8 i think)

I would get the pins, the best ones I've used are the ones from summit racing. They lock so you dont have pins that rust. The lock looks like a coke machine lock, it's a round hole with a slot in it, and you don't have to worry about people stealing your battery.

93steeda said:
I would get the pins, the best ones I've used are the ones from summit racing. They lock so you dont have pins that rust. The lock looks like a coke machine lock, it's a round hole with a slot in it, and you don't have to worry about people stealing your battery.

Those are actually probably the worst you can use...they are hood 'locks' not hood 'pins' and not meant for holding down the hood. Myself, I like the FMS pins, they are stainless steel, and really nice pieces.

93steeda said:
Thats why you run both hood pins and stock latch! :nice:

89MustangGX said:
Those are actually probably the worst you can use...they are hood 'locks' not hood 'pins' and not meant for holding down the hood. Myself, I like the FMS pins, they are stainless steel, and really nice pieces.
Under the "locks" are "pins" that latch and they hold my hood down just fine. They look alot better than pins sticking out of your hood.

i have a couple pics of that guys car. i'm not sure of his name either. it used to be nice. i like at the end of that video when he's eyeing up the other fox. hhmmmm, there's a hood.

Attachments

• flamed stang2.jpg
    flamed stang2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 136
If i had the chance to go back in time i would have used hoodpins at first, The day i got my car home from the body shop my hood went flying off. i was one pist off person :mad:, now that i have it back fixed again im putting them on, i wouldnt chance it. the safer the better.

If i had the chance to go back in time i would have used hoodpins at first, The day i got my car home from the body shop my hood went flying off. i was one pist off person :mad:, now that i have it back fixed again im putting them on, i wouldnt chance it. the safer the better.