Hood... What gives?

luisv

Oct 18, 2008
Miami, Florida
I just got back from my first long highway drive in the new Stang. It was a drive across I-75 to Tampa. I was averaging about 80 miles per hour. I was a bit creeped out by what happened.

I was a bit surprised to see that my hood shakes at high speed. It basically moves (shakes) at speed. Almost as if air is getting in under the hood and it is trying to come open. In fact that is what concerned me. It is more apparent on the driver's side. It is clearly coming up at the gap between the fender and hood.

Is this normal? Is it that damned fake hood scoop?

When I stopped the first time, I check to make sure it was shut tight. I also noticed the hood is not sheet metal. At the least, it does not sound the same when tapped as does the fender. Is this the case?

• Sponsors (?)

Try adjusting your hood stops a bit tighter to the hood. The seems to help some people who have this issue. Otherwise, if that doesn't work and you're worried about it, you'll want to get some hood pins.

FWIW, I have the factory scoop and no hood shake.

Thanks!!! Glad I am not the first...

OK......... I've seen some hood pins recently but have not checked into them closely. I used to have pins on my '88 Mustang. Back then they did not have vinyl covered cables and I had some cables custom made. I am a PAIN IN THE ASS about my paint.

What's the deal now? Any good pins out there? I saw some on the Shelby's in the showroom. Looked good. Are there others?

Another question.... What about these piston hood systems? I would imagine these will help keep the hood tighter down....... If nothing else the billet brackets could add rigidity.... Is that the case?

I have the factory hood scoop and I do not have any shaking at high speeds.

It looks like those factory scoops ARE functional after all :D

They are an "Aerodynamic High-Speed Hood Stabilizer" :nice:

I always liked the look of my hood scoop and now I know it serves an important function besides looking good!

I have a decent amount of hood movement at 100+.

Tightening the rubber stops helped a bit but did not eliminate the issue.

I have spent a good amount of time in the problem speed range and the hood has never dislodged. Tested to 150 with nothing more than movement.

I have run the car at the track without the grill which aggravated the issue but the latch held.

I must have the pre-tsb non-functional scoop. lol

3006171339_c4b76b7e68_o.jpg

3007006914_d0f64622a7_o.jpg

3007006190_ebff2edc12_o.jpg

These are my Billet pins I just put on, PAIN IN THE @$$ to put on, I expected 3 hours....nope...6-7 hours.

But I love them, and I think they look fantastic.

Attachments

• 3006171339_c4b76b7e68_o.jpg
    3006171339_c4b76b7e68_o.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 3007006914_d0f64622a7_o.jpg
    3007006914_d0f64622a7_o.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 3007006190_ebff2edc12_o.jpg
    3007006190_ebff2edc12_o.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 55
My hood used to shake at elevated highway speeds, and it was even worse at the track, so I installed the Shelby (non-logo) billitt hood pins and the shake is gone....

RaceReady002.jpg

RaceReady017.jpg

Fairly easy install - about an hour with basic hand tools, a drill, and a dremel.

Attachments

• RaceReady002.jpg
    RaceReady002.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 62
  • RaceReady017.jpg
    RaceReady017.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 56
Thanks!!! Glad I am not the first...

OK......... I've seen some hood pins recently but have not checked into them closely. I used to have pins on my '88 Mustang. Back then they did not have vinyl covered cables and I had some cables custom made. I am a PAIN IN THE ASS about my paint.

What's the deal now? Any good pins out there? I saw some on the Shelby's in the showroom. Looked good. Are there others?

Another question.... What about these piston hood systems? I would imagine these will help keep the hood tighter down....... If nothing else the billet brackets could add rigidity.... Is that the case?

I have MRT hood lifts and I don't think they, or any other hood lifts would have any effect on the hood flutter at high speed. Hood pins however eliminate the problem as well as the risk of the hood flying open under virtually any circumstances. My pins are from RingBrothers and I'm extremely happy with them (quality, installation, appearance). See the thread below (about half way down the page) for a picture of my Screaming Yellow Roush with black RingBrothers pins as well as a link to RingBrothers.com.
http://forums.stangnet.com/762234-hood-problem.html

Thanks for all the replies....... Very helpful.

Brian...... you and I think the same way... I am planning on a series of mods in the coming years but I want to keep the exterior as close to stock as possible.... Have them think I drive a 5+ second 0-60 car and then leave them five lengths behind and wondering..... LOL

My hood used to shake at elevated highway speeds, and it was even worse at the track, so I installed the Shelby (non-logo) billitt hood pins and the shake is gone....

RaceReady002.jpg

RaceReady017.jpg

Fairly easy install - about an hour with basic hand tools, a drill, and a dremel.

wow i love your car... at first i was like v6 looking a*& car.. then i saw the charger and had to get a towel.. sleeper for day one man i love it

Attachments

• RaceReady002.jpg
    RaceReady002.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 58
  • RaceReady017.jpg
    RaceReady017.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for all the replies....... Very helpful.

Brian...... you and I think the same way... I am planning on a series of mods in the coming years but I want to keep the exterior as close to stock as possible.... Have them think I drive a 5+ second 0-60 car and then leave them five lengths behind and wondering..... LOL

Luis - I like your thinking! I've baited a few racers into thinking I was driving a stock V6, only to show 'em my taillights. Talk about priceless. Like they say: "walk quietly and carry a big stick."

wow i love your car... at first i was like v6 looking a*& car.. then i saw the charger and had to get a towel.. sleeper for day one man i love it

Thanks, ptfoxbdy89. A buddy of mine is the complete opposite of me. He has an 06 V6 Mustang (with the Pony Package) and he's transformed it into an awesome looking GT clone and then some, but it's still the stock 210hp V6 in his car. And while I don't necessarily approve of V6's being dressed up like GT's, we did install his V6 grill and wheels on my GT to dumb mine down for that sleeper look.

I highly recommend supercharging your GT. While there are some very powerful (and very expensive) blowers on the market, I was amazed how inexpensive some systems are. I paid just $3700 for my Vortech V2, which included bigger injectors, 2nd fuel pump, programmer/tune, and all required hardware for a complete install. Also, I made sure to buy Vortech's VQ series blower (VQ = very quiet) so it makes very little supercharger whine so most people don't hear the blower - all the better to keep it a sleeper.

On a side note, I think I'm going to powdercoat the hood pins alloy gray to blend in better with the hood so people don't see them as easily (I should have just bought the black ones that Shelby sells instead - see below).

100845.jpg

I really didn't want to put hood pins on the car, but didn't want the hood shaking or flying up either, so it's the lesser of two evils, I suppose.