Hooking up at the strip

dirtstang

Dec 12, 2002
I am still working on my II, just wondering, those who drag race a II with stock suspension, what have you done as far as mods? I am looking for spring rates, shocks, trac. bars, and also, what size tires, and what times have you ran? 60 foot and 1/8 or 1/4? I will not have mine running until spring, and the first race is right after the weather breaks, so I am trying to shorten my learning curve.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I have as far as I know, stock suspension. I do however, have traction bars, and I'm still waiting to put on my subframe connectors.

When I ran on street tires, 245/60/R14, I was able to get a best of 2.0 for a 60', with basically just rolling off the line, I couldn't launch.

I then ran with a set of Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pros on fox turbine wheels, with spacers on it to prevent the rubbing, and our best 60' with them was a 1.8 60'.

I'd also like to get some new shocks, for fronts and rear, but it seems like drag shocks aren't too common for the II, that or they're real expensive.

A friend of mine, with a little less motor, and a C-4 in a 92 mustang, with the same size slicks, went a 1.54 60 foot to a best of 10.81 @ 123.xx. I am hoping to better them times. My rear springs are cracked, and I was looking at the Landrums, as you can get them in different rates. I just don't know where to start.

No clue, but I was sneaky about it. I teched with my street tires, then swapped on my slicks and the spacers. Plus I don't think he would've been able to tell I even had spacers on them.

I hope to eventually go 5 lug so I have a good amount of options for wheels and backspacing, that way I don't need them.

The only thing I have used is MT Drag slicks. They hook up nice and tight, even with an open diff. I ran a 1.9 60 foot time on the old motor with an 14.4 ET I havnt run the new motor yet at the track.

I have stock 8". All I did was double up the second leaf from the top. It hooks great with 2:79 gear. Never any wheel hop and a 2.3 60 ft.

attachment.php

That 10.81 was a EFI 306 with edelbrock performer heads on a 250 shot. In the 92 Mustang it weighed 3420 IIRC. It was caged, with full interior. That pass was on the 26 x 8.50 et drags that I ended up buying for my car. I am hoping to come in about 2800 - 2900 pounds, with a 383 inch cleveland on 2 stages with a stick.

I am trying to shorten my learning curve on the chassis as my first race is next May, and weather won't break till probably end of April, maybe earlier, but who knows.