Horn gives weak, short noise?

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue. I recently noticed that the horn on my 66 gives a weak, very short sound when I push the horn button. It doesn't last more than a second and it's barely audible. I checked the manual and the horn seems to run through the headlight switch? Interestingly the passenger side brake light and taillight also is very dim but otherwise functions. I see that those lights too seem to run through the headlight switch. My switch is only a year old. Everything else in these systems is basically new (wiring, lamps, etc.). What could cause this weak horn? And is the headlight switch suspect? Thanks. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue. I recently noticed that the horn on my 66 gives a weak, very short sound when I push the horn button. It doesn't last more than a second and it's barely audible. I checked the manual and the horn seems to run through the headlight switch? Interestingly the passenger side brake light and taillight also is very dim but otherwise functions. I see that those lights too seem to run through the headlight switch. My switch is only a year old. Everything else in these systems is basically new (wiring, lamps, etc.). What could cause this weak horn? And is the headlight switch suspect? Thanks. :shrug:

The horn runs through the turn signal switch. Check all the connections between the steering wheel and horns to be clean with good contact. With the engine running, try again. Horns are also tuneable, for loudest tone. The screw on the back will adjust them. Don't just twist away at it, keep track so you can get back where you started if you need to.

The horn runs through the turn signal switch. Check all the connections between the steering wheel and horns to be clean with good contact. With the engine running, try again. Horns are also tuneable, for loudest tone. The screw on the back will adjust them. Don't just twist away at it, keep track so you can get back where you started if you need to.

Thanks this helped. I put a wire to each horn right from the battery and the horns themselves definitely work and the tune seems ok to me. So, must be the wiring. I have the steering wheel off now and am going through the turn signal switch but it's fairly new and nothing is obviously wrong with it. I cleaned up some of the grease from where the horn contacts slide around the copper strip on my LeCarra wheel hub. But it all really looks functional. I'm thinking the weak horns and the weak passenger taillight have to be related. I saved $60 by not needing new horns, maybe I need to spend $80 on a new turn signal switch even though the current one appears good.

The horn in my Cougar was weak and inconsistent. I added a relay to the circuit that directs full battery current to the horns. Now they work every time and are sufficiently loud.

Thanks, fixed!

I was replacing the turn signal switch the other day and when I removed the steering wheel (it's an aftermarket LeCarra with hub) I noticed that the retaining nut was tight enough to keep the wheel from falling off -- but probably not tight enough for the horn contacts to make good enough contact. So when I reassembled everything, I made sure the steering wheel retaining nut was nice and tight. So the horns work well now. :rolleyes: But I will also grind around the horn assembly mounting bolts on the radiator support to make sure they have a good ground too. (Of course there's a fresh turn signal switch in there now, but I really think the fix was actually the loose nut...)