Horn troubleshooting, '89 Mustang GT

ndalake

Aug 30, 2006
Goodview, VA
I have an '89 Mustang Gt that I just bought out of my home state and here in VA where I live, state inspections are mandatory, thus I need to get my horn working. Everything appears to be hooked up correctly under the bumper, fuse is good in the fuse block(verified that by checking the cigarette lighter works). Went and bought a Haynes Manual and a horn relay today to put in. I'm sure that after disassembling the under dash section and an hour of time, I could find the location for it but I figured it is better to ask. I can't find the information I need in the Haynes Manual. Go figure. Can someone help me? Is their something else I should be looking at first? I know there is probably no relation but the cruise control still works on the car. If the problem ends up being the switch or wiring in the wheel or column, I will just add an aftermarket horn to the car with an additional switch and be done with it. Anyone been through this before? :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I had one that did not work at one time - I pulled off the horn button pad and the wires were disconnected - when I connected them I found out why --- the pad had been hit so hard that the metal contact plates inside it were touching and caused the horn to go off constantly -- I fixed this by pulling the horn plates apart and putting in some extra foam rubber I had in the garage to keep them apart but still make contact when I pressed on the pad - normal horn from that point on...

Also replacing the horn relay does not require removing any dash parts. The relay is located behind the left front of the center console (left of the radio) and mounted to a bracket with one other relay and the warning chime (white box). The bracket is mounted with only a couple of screws.

To add to Saleen's comment: If you're tracking down why the horn doesn't sound off, when you have the relay accessed, that's a good place to test.

Backprobe the socket terminals and note what you are missing. Because a relay/relay-socket is like a 4 way stop in the road, it gives you a direction to go.

Did you bench test the horns (using a fused power source)?

Good luck.