hot 1/4 mi runs

When I went to the track last in Nov. was the first time I took my 06 for a few runs....my first run bone stock was 18's was 14.1 @98 which I thought it could do a bit better but I was satisfied. The follow up runs were sluggish and about 2 tenths slower each time. Now I read MM&FF where Justin Burchum ran a few mildly modified s 197s and he had the same issued where he would run a 12.9 and back it up with 13.30's and 40's. Any body else experience and bit slower runs when hot? I ask because I'm going this Friday and I'm wondering if I should just let my car get cold and run it once and not waste my time with follow up runs at a crowded friday night track or just not go and wait for a saturday test and tune where I can let it cool each run. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sure the cars run quicker when cool, A lot guy's use ice cans to cool the engine between runs. It's not a S197 thing, it's a comustion engine thing in general. Some of my best runs were late fall on a saturday night compared to mid summer on sunday afternoon.

I agree, when I hot lapped my car it ran low 14's after I let it cool alittle bit and just pop the hood in the staging lanes you can see the difference in times in my sig. Granted our track is busy and would sit for maybe an hour or maybe alittle less.

My general rule of thumb is 1 hr between runs, hood open, and if you have the ability - wire in a manual switch on the fan to kick it on with the car off and speed that cooling process up. The 3v modular is very easily heat soaked in a N/A state, running a charger makes it show even worse for us boosted guys. Another key item is an electric water pump to go with the manual fan engagement, this helps cool way faster. With the above you can sway temps fast enough to make passes every 30 minutes with zero heat soak type time slips.

If you decide to hot lap, without the above items because it's busy and you don't want to worry about not getting in many runs, change your goal. Focus on your launch and 60ft times, heat soak doesn't ruin those numbers as badly as it does the overall ET. This will get you good practice on leaving clean and when you get a less congested day where you can properly cool the car, you can then focus on the entire pass/ET. I'd even go as far as getting out of the fuel at about 300ft and coasting to the return road if you go that route, again helping with reducing the heat.

Turn that Heat on!

One other way to get some heat out of it is to turn your heater on full blast with the windows down part way. This is not a good idea if you are going to sit in the car. Turn the heat off before you get back in to make your run. :flame::eek:

When I went to the track last in Nov. was the first time I took my 06 for a few runs....my first run bone stock was 18's was 14.1 @98 which I thought it could do a bit better but I was satisfied. The follow up runs were sluggish and about 2 tenths slower each time. Now I read MM&FF where Justin Burchum ran a few mildly modified s 197s and he had the same issued where he would run a 12.9 and back it up with 13.30's and 40's. Any body else experience and bit slower runs when hot? I ask because I'm going this Friday and I'm wondering if I should just let my car get cold and run it once and not waste my time with follow up runs at a crowded friday night track or just not go and wait for a saturday test and tune where I can let it cool each run. Thanks

I dunno, I hot-lapped 3 times to get my 12.9 run in. First run was a 13.09, second run was a 13.001, third run was a 12.9@108 :)

Edit: I didn't have any resting in between either. The track was pretty empty that day and I just pulled around and lined back up without stopping the engine or anything.

One other way to get some heat out of it is to turn your heater on full blast with the windows down part way. This is not a good idea if you are going to sit in the car. Turn the heat off before you get back in to make your run. :flame::eek:

I always do this. The blower is running all the time, except during the run.

emay ur car is f'n sick:hail2:

Yeah really! Perhaps you can schedule an appointment for me to observe it for a month or so to make sure it's ok:nice:

Back on topic. I hot lapped my car numerous times last year without any real negative impact. My second time to the track, my #s were all over the place only due to very poor traction on the 18" OEM radials. Once I got my launch back under control(had to drop my launch RPMs to about 1000), my #s improved. On the chart below, you will see the time of each run and can see between the hot laps I took at least a 45-60 minute cool down period with the hood open and facing away from the sun to avoid the sun.
DSC03910.jpg

DSC03909.jpg

MyMustangTimes.jpg

I was able to get so many back to back runs as our Mustang Club had a private track rental and were about 40-50 of us. Resulting in going right back to the staging lane and only being perhaps 1-5 cars in front of you at any given time.

P.S. Here is the havok I caused to the OEM radials on the last trip to the track(9/23):)
DSC03924.jpg

Ouch, how did you get the rubber off the rear quarters?
Dan

Westley's Bleech White and it came right off:nice: I love that stuff as I never have to scrub my wheel wells to keep them clean...just spray and hose!

Pics from about a year ago, but shows how well Westley's works with no scrubbing in the wheel wells and absolutely no other products used to get them that clean:nice:
1Dirty.jpg

1Clean.jpg

I agree I have not seen another that looks better IMO:nice: . I have even gone as far as showing it to many of my friends on your car domain page. Awsome!!!!! If only I had the money to do mine that way:(

Thanks for the props fellas.. Much appreciated..

Kool, man you beat the snot out of your baby that day. Your lucky to get so many passes. Up here, no matter what track, no matter what day, no matter if private or not, your get 4 to 5 passes at best. Tracks overwhelmed on any test and tune day, and if there is any scheduled racing, you get slid even further behind that..

Kool, man you beat the snot out of your baby that day. Your lucky to get so many passes. Up here, no matter what track, no matter what day, no matter if private or not, your get 4 to 5 passes at best. Tracks overwhelmed on any test and tune day, and if there is any scheduled racing, you get slid even further behind that..

To date, the record # of runs that somebody has gotten at one of the club Test & Tunes was a guy with his nitroused V6...47 runs in 4 hours:eek: