hot start problem

bdub

Sep 21, 2007
kinston
got a question, my car cranks fine when its cold, but after driving around for about 15 or 20 minutes, and turn the car off, it turns over real slow like the battery is almost dead or something, but only does it when the car is hot? then today when it was hot i went to start it and nothing, so i sat there for a minute and pressed the clutch again and turned the key and it started?

• Sponsors (?)

You need to check your battery cables to make sure that they are clean and tight, both at the battery and at the block and starter. If the positive cable has "green fuzzy's" showing under the insulation then a new cable may be needed. As temperature goes up, electrical resistance also goes up. If you check with a volt meter at the starter and there is 12+ volts there, it does not mean that the cable can flow the amperage to the starter to allow it to work. If just 1 strand of the cable is good it will show 12+ volts, but no amperage (volume) of electricity will flow.

mine does the same.....mine keeps making my starters go bad i think but....check on your starter relay. If the connections are rusted real bad it will do that. Mine was rusted BAD and when my car would get hot and you tried to crank the car my starter would grind and the starter relay would start glowing red from the pos cable side

the cables may LOOK good and tight, but you should remove them, use a wire bottle brush to make the surfaces clean, and put them back on. I've made that wrong assumption before, wondering why my car would just click when I went to start it.

i will have the check that when it stops raining, i just dont understand why yesterday when i went to start it back up, nothing would happen, it was like the battery was not even hooked up, then just let it sit and mine and it started up

i will have the check that when it stops raining, i just dont understand why yesterday when i went to start it back up, nothing would happen, it was like the battery was not even hooked up, then just let it sit and mine and it started up

I Am telling you I am almost CERTAIN it is something to do with your starter solnoid connections....Mine would go to crank lights on the dask would come on and everything then to go to crank and nothing....not even a click. then I would let it sit for a little while and it would do it again. I was driving down the road and my car cutoff and wouldnt even try to do anything. I turned my key on and left it on the on position and went and start jiggling wires and I heard the fuel pump come on and cleaned my connections on the solnoid and problem fixed

Try checking the starter to see how many amps the starter is drawing. When it is hotter it may be drawing more causing the starter to turn slower. I know a lot of ignition parts some times fail when the engine is hot but not cold, so could be the same with your starter.