how bad of a problem is this? Motor install?

Informant736

May 22, 2005
Malvern, PA
I have an 89 notch that i blew the motor on and installed a rebuilt motor in february of 2004 (goin back a bit) and havent had much time or money to work on the car due to school. Now im starting to get back to work on it. The motor i installed seems to be off center, like it is not directly in the center of the engine bay its probably a good inch off to the left if looking at it from the front. Is this going to throw alot of things off? should i reposition this before i continue working on the rest of the car? or is it not goin to be a problem? The first thing to comes to mind that it will effect is that the fan will be hitting stuff, which insn't good. And also could it effect the drivetrain by not being centered throwing stuff off balance. I have pics that i will load up tonight, need to use my sisters laptop to upload the pics. Thanks and sorry for the long explaination but i dont want to have to undo even more work before i continue?

thanks for the input
Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

a 302HO block with the correct motor mounts will fall correctly in place unless you've made alterations of some sort..if you have, I wish you the best of luck...alignment is definately an issue when it comes to fan location, tranny location...among other issues.

Interesting......... Did the trannie bolt up center on the cross member.
Have you checked the motor mounts to see if they were seated right? Did you put the drive shaft up to see if it was straight. Where did you get the motor, rebuild it yourself? Just some questions to see if it's not just the eye misleading you. yep, some pictures would help.

You know what, I'm in the process of pulling my motor and I just went out to look at it and it does look to be off a little to the left. optical illusion maybe... If the trannie cross-member bolts up properly and the drive shaft is straight, it's probably okay. As memtioned above there is no adjustments on the motor mounts, or the trannie cross-member, they either seat or don't.

yeah everything went together fine and i have the headers on with enough room to put on my x-pipe. I guess im just concerned since i havent worked on this beast in a year and a half and i go back to work on it and see that the motor seems to not be in there right. I think im gonna get me a 3.8l taurus fan with the DCC controler and slap it all back together hopefully by the end of the summer. Ill try and post pics tomarrow maybe my sister forgot to bring home the usb adapter to connect our camera to the comp. so i cant upload my pics yet. This car is becoming a huge pain in my arse and just want to get it running again even if its only for like 10 min.