How big is the Nut in the Center of the Balancer

• Sponsors (?)

He said he already got the bolt loose.

Here's the problem with the rental puller tools. The bolts are WAY too long! Get some shorter bolts so that the puller is pretty close to the balancer, this will keep the bolts from bending, I actually had one break off one time!

To hold the balancer from moving while your wrenching on the removal tool, stick a philips head screwdriver into one of the many holes in the outer part of the balancer. As you spin the balancer the screwdriver will catch on the lower part of the timing cover and hold you there. The rest is cake! Take your time and if you feel like you're binding the big center bolt of the puller, back off, the cheap pullers will sometimes mess up the threads in the crank!

On a side note/ good note, I did get my gauges in for my Fuel Pressure and Nitrous Pressure and they look like they are really good quality...Hopefully I will have them in on Wed., if I get this project done tomorrow and ill take some pictures for you guys

He said he already got the bolt loose.

Right, I did indeed catch that part... depending on which puller he has, length is important as you stated, and what radiator he has (if it's even in the car)... you can get a swivel on the end of the puller and still use an impact if you have to. Sometimes it just takes a buttload of extensions, swivels, and creativity to get there. :rlaugh:

You should see how many bent screw drivers and allen wrenches I have at my hous now...I tried that to, I might just go out and get an impact gun

Sounds like you got the bolt off - if you have to do it again, I've had success by removing the service cover on the tranny and taking a large screwdriver and wedging it against the flexplate and tranny housing while a friend breaks the bolt w/ a breaker bar. Don't stress the tranny housing too much as to break it but just enough to keep the flexplate from moving. This also works for torquing the bolt on the crank back to spec.

The bumping the starter deal kinda scares me - lot to go wrong or get broken going that route. Starters have serious torque.

If you can beg/borrow/steal an impact that will make it worlds easier - I pulled the balancer off of my Mach 1 the other day in a matter of minutes. :D

Make sure you've got a GOOD, sturdy puller as The_Mustang mentioned above - I've broken them before as well. Get plenty of threads in the crank and balancer so you don't mess up anything.

When you reinstall the balancer make sure you line up the keyways in the balancer/crank - it's easy to miss the keyway and get things all messed up.

Seems like the first time everyone messes with a balancer it's tough - it's just a sucky job. :bang: If can pull off this job (pun intended) w/ basic hand tools then you can do a lot of stuff on your car without a mechanic's help. :nice:

The second time around is much easier - keep at it.

Wes

Yeah well today is a new day and I got through all the stuff up to using the puller in 20 mins even cracking the bolt in the middle...Put when I went to use the puller with there bolts they twisted and almost broke the puller so now I am stuck waiting for someone that can bring me to Home Depot to get stronger bolts

Did you lube it down overnight with PB blaster? Sounds like it's RUSTED on there? :shrug:

Guess you could try the torch method and heat it real good. I kinda hate to recommend that, because you can ruin the rubber in the balancer. If you are putting a new one on.... just don't get too carried away and the heat should help.

Good luck! Let us know what that monster is hanging tough by.

i find it easier to tighten the hell out of the puller then wack the end with a hammer...works well

to adjust timing, get it running and with the dist. lose, turn the diff untill your lined up with 14 btc, or wherever you want. you will immeditially see which way to turn!

Just which part of the dizzy do i turn...I am going to do this tomorrow since I have work and I am beat...so hopefully i can get the gauges in too before I have work tomorrow night.

is it A or B.. and yes I know my engine looks like crap...it has been cleaned up only a tiny bit since then.

fdasgagmw1.jpg

Attachments

• fdasgagmw1.jpg
    fdasgagmw1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 42
Uh, kinda hard to tell what you are pointing at, but A and B... it all turns together. Just be careful grabbin the cap by the wires. It can bite ya. :rlaugh:

Also, don't push TOO hard, or you'll spin it so far the car will die. Then it's fun to try to get it started again. I sometimes have to put the pill back in to get it to fire back up. Just have to remember to pull it back out while setting the timing. :nice: