How can I get my hp and keep my warranty?

03gtmustang

May 26, 2003
Northern Va
Aight heres the deal, I need more hp, but I need to keep my warranty. So I need some bolt ons that will give me decint gains (15-20RWHP) per mod. So far I was thinking the C&L 85mm maf and maybe the hypertech programmer II? Are these worth the price? What about the steeda u/d pulleys, are these easy to install and take off if needed? Also the steeda t/a? Anyone got anymore ideas let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Good luck finding bolt-ons that will give you 15+RWHP each. I'm sure longtubes and midpipe combined will give you that, but that's about it. Go with pulleys and T/A.

I don't know what the MAF's are good for. I've heard good and bad about them.

Buy an 03 Cobra. :D Most dealers will try to bs you by saying anything you do to your car will void the warrenty. Some try to do that by just looking to see if you have a K&N filter. Your best bet is if you are worried about it then don't do anything.

I verified that if you get the Steeda S/C Kit and Steeda installs it you maintain your warranty. I spoke with the shop forman at my dealership and the manager and they said that the warranty would be intact. I am sure it depends on the dealer you go to thou :nonono:

Yep 99.9% of it is the dealer you take it to. Some will void you for the air filter, some will void you for pullies, mine tried to void me for welding in mufflers :shrug: Needless to say I take it to a different dealer now. Just check around your general area and see who is the most mod friendly. Also you could ask your local speedshop if they know of anyone. A lot of them have friends that work at dealerships and they will treat you right most of the time :nice:

Pullies and a t/a would be good though the pullies are a little harder to get on and off. It could be easily done in about 30 min. The only problem would be the bolt. Is it torque to yield? Another is a offroad x or h pipe. It would take a little longer to swap but it really isn't all that bad. Definately worth the power and sound gained.
I don't know about a programmer and maf but they are easily changed. Some people love them, other hate them. I would say go ahead and get them and find out.
I go to the dealer with my car and they love it. They ask me what it runs, how do I like the spray, all sorts of stuff. I'm sure if something broke related to my mods I would be screwed, but I have had a liitle warrenty work done and they didn't hassle me at all.

Upgrading an '03 Maf is a waste of money in my opinion. Get exhaust, CAI, pullies, 4.10 gears and a custom chip and dyno tune. The chip will take care of the timing adjuster, smooth out your air/fuel ratio, it can be recalibrated for a gear upgrade or tire/rim increase.

Venom4.6 said:
Upgrading an '03 Maf is a waste of money in my opinion. Get exhaust, CAI, pullies, 4.10 gears and a custom chip and dyno tune. The chip will take care of the timing adjuster, smooth out your air/fuel ratio, it can be recalibrated for a gear upgrade or tire/rim increase.

I thought the C&L 85mm MAF gave more hp then a CAI?

I would think that the dealers should expect mods on a performance car, no?

i can understand a family sedan being modded, but they should NOT give you crap about a mustang. then again, i know most do but its not right.

-Jon

coramprat said:
Buy an 03 Cobra. :D Most dealers will try to bs you by saying anything you do to your car will void the warrenty. Some try to do that by just looking to see if you have a K&N filter. Your best bet is if you are worried about it then don't do anything.

by law, ford cannot void your warranty because of a k&n filter

03gtmustang said:
I dont think you guys are getting my question. Im looking for mods that I can install and take off in 15-30 min, but will give me a good hp increase for the money. For example, C&L 85mm MAF and hypertech programmer II.

If your thinking of removing you MOD's everytime you have to service you car just stay stock. If your going to worry about your warranty that much why bother spending the time and money? :shrug:

I went and talked to my Serviceman and he told me anything that bolts up directly to the engine or drivetrain could void my warranty. Pulleys, Upper intake plenium, headers, gears, driveshaft, etc all fall under that catagory. I have hi-flo catted x, cat-backs, CAI, and the performance chip. He told me to take the chip out before I bring the car in so when they do diag. on the car, the original settings will be displayed. He's a pretty cool guy. Now, I asked him about gears and he said they do not install them if your original gears are working properly. Now if something should happened to my gears, they would replace them with higher gears and reflash my EEC to adjust for the gear change and still have it on warranty. He said I would have to pay for the upgraded gears and reflash, but after that the rest would be covered and the warranty would still be intact. So I need to find out how to screw up my gears so I can get upgrades and still be under warranty. :D

TrueBlueCajun said:
I went and talked to my Serviceman and he told me anything that bolts up directly to the engine or drivetrain could void my warranty. Pulleys, Upper intake plenium, headers, gears, driveshaft, etc all fall under that catagory. I have hi-flo catted x, cat-backs, CAI, and the performance chip. He told me to take the chip out before I bring the car in so when they do diag. on the car, the original settings will be displayed. He's a pretty cool guy. Now, I asked him about gears and he said they do not install them if your original gears are working properly. Now if something should happened to my gears, they would replace them with higher gears and reflash my EEC to adjust for the gear change and still have it on warranty. He said I would have to pay for the upgraded gears and reflash, but after that the rest would be covered and the warranty would still be intact. So I need to find out how to screw up my gears so I can get upgrades and still be under warranty. :D
Drain out the fluid and run it till they burn up. Then fill it back up and call the tow truck!

You didn't hear that here, and it probably will screw up more than just the gears.

Disclaimer: This post is for entertainment purposes only.