How Common Were Factory Non-A/C Cars?

• Sponsors (?)

It must be some what rare.I've only seen a few 5.0 Mustangs with out a/c.A friend of mine has a 87 or 88 GT parts car with manual windows,5spd and no a/c.My 90 GT doesn't have a rear window defroster but it was from Hawaii.

Pretty rare. i have a no option notch that has no power and no a/c and no rear defrost. the only options on my car are the 5.0 motor and a am/fm cassette.They called the no option package the drag pack from what i have found out about it. i am just waiting for the marti report to do 79,93 mustangs to find out how many were made with this option.

I think AC was basically standard...or you had to order a car without it because i've never seen a non-AC car in a junkyard...ever, and every Mustang i've seen that was stock had it. If i ever saw a non AC car, i probably didn't even know it and just assumed the owner deleted it.

I've been curious about this ever since I bought my car. My car has power windows, locks, cruise, defrosters; but no A/C. It was built in Aug of '93. If you look at the heat control panel, you can see there is not as many selections on the right knob.
2009-08-28001.jpg

I think thats pretty cool. Clean car too. Find out the history of the car. I wonder if the would have been more prevelant in cars bought further north where the summers arent so rough.

I would say more than likely, as there is definitely a trend with rear defrost according to the area they where sold in. Another odd item is rear defrost on coupes, regardless of where they where sold.

I think thats pretty cool. Clean car too. Find out the history of the car. I wonder if the would have been more prevelant in cars bought further north where the summers arent so rough.

I'd like to know the history. The previous owner didn't know jack about anything. In the owner's manual there is a salesman's card from a Ford dealership in Cincinnati, so it could have been bought there new. Also, my car has 3.08s; was that also a ordered option?

Up until the middle 70s, AC was considered special and always added significant cost to the sticker. By the mid 80s AC was no longer an option but standard equipment. Even my no frills 2001 Ranger has AC. Cars get better miles per gallon on the highway with the windows up and the ac running vs cruising with the windows down. Must be what happened.

Air conditioning was NOT standard equipment in ANY Fox ('79-'93) Mustang. It was either a stand-alone option or part of an optional 'preferred equipment package'.

Rear defrost was NOT standard, in any bodystyle, unless it was required by law in certain regions or states (i.e. Canada or Northern/Northeastern US states).

The 3.08:1 ratio was either standard equipment or a no-cost option over the 2.73:1 ratio. Whether it was standard or an optional upgrade depended on the model year and the transmission.

Up here in Canada, my 91 GT came with 2.73s, rear defrost, a/c, kph speedo, daytime running lights and a BLOCK HEATER. Oh yeah, and the official name for it was "Ford Mustang Cobra GT", even though it's no different than a US GT. I've read conflicting accounts of why this was done by Ford.

The cord on that block heater has never been unwrapped. My car has never been even remotely winter driven and never will. I think it would be a horrible winter vehicle, with all that power and the traction-lok rear end. Complete fishtail city - if you could even get going...

Good friend of mine has owned, since 1991, a 1989 5.0 LX hatch that has no a/c and has crank windows and manual locks and virtually no options at all.

I do agree that it seems as if many more cars had the a/c.

My 91 GT officially weighs in at about 3150 pounds whereas a 91 LX 5.0 Sport, when minimally equipped, tipped the scales in the 2750 plus pound range. As well, the GT stickered for about 20,000 and the LX could be had for 12,000 (Canadian dollars).

I'd like to know the history. The previous owner didn't know jack about anything. In the owner's manual there is a salesman's card from a Ford dealership in Cincinnati, so it could have been bought there new. Also, my car has 3.08s; was that also a ordered option?

Look at the door tag and find the DSO. It should be two digits. It will tell you the region where the car was originally "ordered" for. By ordered I mean internally by Ford.

The following is just my opinion and I have no facts to back it up.

For the 87-93's it is much more common to find non-A/C cars earlier rather than later. I also think there were more LX than GT's without A/C. As stated above it is more common to find cars with northern DSO's without A/C.

Of course there were a lot less 93's made vs 87's so that could be part of it.

Ford and the dealers make a lot of money off the options so it is in their interest to sell factory A/C cars.

BTW Hawaii doesn't have its own DSO.

I have a Mustang that was sold new in Guam, with an export DSO, and it has a rear window defroster.

Other odd trivia. New York state requires rear window defroster and for 1993 they required million mile odometers (7 Digit). So Mustangs that had the New York DSO for 1993 had both. That included 1993 Cobras.

I don't know when that became law, but my '83 GT doesn't have rear defrost. It was ordered through the Buffalo DSO.

A quick trip to google turned up this. Its late so hell if I can figure it out. :)

Vehicle & Traffic Law - Vehicle Equipment

Defrosters 39. Every motor vehicle registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after October first, nineteen hundred sixty-four shall be equipped with a defrosting device, in good working order, for the purpose of preventing the formation of snow or ice on the windshield directly in front of the operator. For the purposes of this subdivision the term "motor vehicle" shall exclude motorcycles, tractors used exclusively for agricultural purposes, self-propelled combines, self-propelled harvesting machines and farm equipment and self-propelled caterpillar or crawler-type equipment while being operated on the contract site.

10-b. It shall be unlawful after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred seventy-three to operate on any public highway or street in this state, any passenger type motor vehicle except convertible, suburban and omnibus or other motor vehicle that has a roll-down rear window or a rear window or windows located in a movable closure (door-like) member registered in this state, manufactured or assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred seventy-four or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a rear window defogger or defroster, which shall be so located and adjusted that its operation will give the operator of such vehicle, by means of the mirror or other reflecting device required by subdivision ten of this section, a view of the road and the condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

10-c. It shall be unlawful after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred eighty-five to operate on any public highway or street in this state, any passenger type motor vehicle that has a rear window or windows located in a movable closure (door-like) member, except for a multipurpose passenger vehicle (designed to carry ten persons or less and constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation) registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred eighty-six or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a rear window defogger or defroster, which shall be so located and adjusted that its operation will give the operator of such vehicle, by means of the mirror or other reflecting device required by subdivision ten of this section, a view of the road and the condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

10-d. It shall be unlawful after December thirty-first, nineteen hundred ninety-two to operate on any public highway or street in this state, any passenger type motor vehicle that has a rear window located in a single movable closure (door-like) member and which has a non-removeable top, registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred ninety-three or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a rear window defogger or defroster, which shall be so located and adjusted that its operation will give the operator of such vehicle, by means of the mirror or other reflecting device required by subdivision ten of this section, a view of the road and the condition of traffic behind such vehicle.