how do you roll the lip on a fender?

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
portland, OR
i am putting some big meats in the back 305/50/15 and i need to roll the lip, problem is i have never done it before and i want to do it by myself so can someone explain how to do it? pics would be awesome

thanks,

Drew

• Sponsors (?)

I used vice grips and a rag and then a rubber faced hammer with the rag. Just gotta be careful you don't chew the paint up. That's what I used the rag for. The method which has you pushing the car back and forth while forcing a ball bat between the lip and the tire doesn't work worth a dam.

There's a better way. Take a baseball bat, and insert the handle end between the tire and the fender. Have a friend very slowly move the car forward. As you push the bat into the interference area, the tire will grab it, and roll it forward rolling the fender lip. Work slowly, back and forth. THe handle is tapered, so if you want more crush, you just insert more bat as you slowly work it back and forth. This approach usually works without damaging the paint at all.

I was read somewhere that they would use a die grinder to cut slits in the lip then take a bag of lead shot and used a mallet to hit the bag of shot rolling the lip around. The shot kept the paint from being damaged. Seemed like I saw it on one of the car shows either on speed vision or espn 2.

i think he is confused as to what the "lip" actually is....you dont move the fender out...if you think of the fender as a " L " the back side of the L is your fender and the lip is the bottom of the L..you cant see the lip cause it is flat side to side..but points toward the car...all your doing is bending that lip up so its just flat or up enough to not shread your tire

when you put the bat into the fender well...the fat part of the bad will be touching the "lip" and the handle side will be touching the tire..so the bads at a angle...so when you push "down" on the bats handle..the fat part pushes up on the lip

Take a WOODEN baseball bat. Start at 3:00 on the fender lip. Roll the bat so that it grips on the rubber tire, and jams against the fender. By rolling the bat, you force the fender to move (as you exert force lifting up the car, cause you are making a 3" bat fit in a 1" gap...).
If you do it right, and slowly, you can get the "L" hard edge to look more like a "V".

I think you all figured it out. The assumption is that the tire is close enough to the fender for some part of the bat to be too big to fit between, and another part of the bat to be small enough to fit between. You keep working that taper until you bend the lip back. However, I let the car do the work - not human power. One person in the car, one person holding the bat. Slowly roll the car forward, insert appropriate part of the bat at the back of the fender, and as the tire grabs it, the force of the car rolling forward (creeping slowly) will pull the bat between the tire and the fender gently rolling the lip back. As the car rolls, the bat will roll from back to front. Once you've made one pass, push the bat in a bit further, have your buddy put it in reverse, then back up and the bat will roll from front to rear. DO NOT use the bat as a lever against the lip -- you can deform the fender pretty quickly that way.