how hard to replace oil pan

epurdy2005

Apr 3, 2004
Well back to a good old mustang.............I had a v6 in high school which sucked...I just bought a 95 5.0 5 speed.........Anyways everything is good on it accept its been sitting for quite a while in a pole barn. It wasnt leaking when I bought it but now the oil pan is leaking because it is so rusted. Its flaking off and there has to be a crack somewhere...Am I correct that it has 2 drain plugs? Its the back one that really rusty....Do you have to lift the whole motor to replace it? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

If you are tightening the bolts, BE CAREFUL, they break very easy.

Start with grinding all the old paint off of it, and find out exactly where it's leaking. A crack sounds odd, alot of times its the rear main seal, valve covers, oil pan gasket, or timing cover.

If by chance, you find it is a crack, drain it, clean off the pan really well, and JB weld it (while its empty obviously).

The JB weld answer is exactly what I wanted to hear but I wasn't sure if it would work or not....Yea its actually not leaking at all from the pan gasket and the plug is good and tight...Its just weird because there is rust flaking off the pan on the very bottom and thats where its leaking from...Was too afraid to peel off the rust this weekend because I wanted to drive it.lol

The JB weld answer is exactly what I wanted to hear but I wasn't sure if it would work or not....Yea its actually not leaking at all from the pan gasket and the plug is good and tight...Its just weird because there is rust flaking off the pan on the very bottom and thats where its leaking from...Was too afraid to peel off the rust this weekend because I wanted to drive it.lol

There's probably not all that much rust on there.
Just peeling paint that looks like rust, and then a very thin layer of rust. Should come off easily.
Just make sure you get it perfect clean, if that means sanding it down, that's what you have to do.
Do NOt put oil in it, for at least 24 hours, maybe even more.