How much are gears worth?

DarkProphet

Founding Member
Aug 19, 2002
Quakertown, PA
Anyone have an idea of how much time in the 1/4 you gain by going from 2.73 to 3.55 or 3.73's? I tried searching as i thought i read it before but couldnt find the post? Im especially interested in the case of my car as I have about 370ish rwhp and stock gears. At 90 im around 2500 rpms which is good if I wanted to go like 170, but Id rather pass STI's faster... Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I gained nothing at the track by switching to 3.73s. Ran the same ETs before and after the gear swap.

Currently, I am shifting into fourth right at the 1000' mark which means I am no where near my peak rpm at the finish line.

im not suprised that he didn't gain anything at the track especially since he said hes not going through the traps at the right rpm ...some people even lose a few tenths because of the shift into 4th. It's all about gearing your car for your combo!

im not suprised that he didn't gain anything at the track with a fairly stock engine ...some people even lose a few tenths because of the shift into 4th.

His sig--"Explorer intake, FRPP Y303 heads, Crane 1.7:1 rr, BBK E/L headers, Pypes catted X-pipe and Violater catback"

This is a "fairly stock" engine? He's got more mods (and important ones, too) than you do. Not trying to be a d1ck, but, sheesh!!!!

His sig--"Explorer intake, FRPP Y303 heads, Crane 1.7:1 rr, BBK E/L headers, Pypes catted X-pipe and Violater catback"

This is a "fairly stock" engine? He's got more mods (and important ones, too) than you do. Not trying to be a d1ck, but, sheesh!!!!

i wrote the response quickly and just glanced over his sig lol....i tried correcting it but my internet is slow and wouldnt let me for awhile.

4th runs out somewhere near 130 i think, (not really watching the spedo when going this fast) and im sure im not going to be trapping anywhere near that high. I have no idea what kind of gain to expect as most people get gears as one of their first mods, not after a new engine and supercharger haha. Thats what happens when things break though. I hope to gain atleast .3-.5, but I guess theres only one way to find out?

Yes, with 3.73s no better at the track. I like many jumped right into the swap without much thought to trap speeds/rpms and my current setup. If I were to do it over I'd go with 4.30s for optimal track performance. But, now I am thinking of supercharging (centrifical type) someday and will keep the 3.73s.