How much boost can a stock bottom end handle??

my motor is completely stock and dynoed at 350 rwhp at 9 lbs of boost with an A trim. I am getting the blower back next week converted to an S trim making roughly 11-12 lbs of boost.. Will my motor be able to handle it??? Or am I gonna make a new thread next week titled "HELP My blower torpedoed off the motor and my engine dropped under my car taking out the car in back of me! What is wrong????" My mods are in sig and i will be shifting at 5500

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running close to 500rwhp on a stock bottom end, so far so good. I know a guy running 600rwhp on a stock bottom end, so far so good. Its hit and miss after 400rwhp. All depends on how good the tune is and how hard you are on the car.

FiVeLiTeR87GT said:
my motor is completely stock and dynoed at 350 rwhp at 9 lbs of boost with an A trim. I am getting the blower back next week converted to an S trim making roughly 11-12 lbs of boost.. Will my motor be able to handle it??? Or am I gonna make a new thread next week titled "HELP My blower torpedoed off the motor and my engine dropped under my car taking out the car in back of me! What is wrong????" My mods are in sig and i will be shifting at 5500

thanks.. I will be building a new motor soon.. it will STAY speed density, but i will have the fuel tables and injector cycles burned soo i can use 42 lb injectors, but for now i have been using 24 lb injectors with an fmu..

Assuming im making 80 lbs of fuel pressure on 24's, am i sitll safe with these injectors?? I really want to wait until i do the enw motor soo i dont have to burn a chip twice.... I will not be doing another mod to this motor other then more boost.

http://www.50tech.com/articles/pictures/injector_flowchart.jpg

I did notice that with a vortech S trim kit, they do not include bigger injectors, but an FMU

FMU's are junk. Get yourself a Tweecer or some sort of fuel management. I would step up to 42lb injectors if you wanna run more then 400rwhp. Better to be safe then sorry.

FiVeLiTeR87GT said:
thanks.. I will be building a new motor soon.. it will STAY speed density, but i will have the fuel tables and injector cycles burned soo i can use 42 lb injectors, but for now i have been using 24 lb injectors with an fmu..

Assuming im making 80 lbs of fuel pressure on 24's, am i sitll safe with these injectors?? I really want to wait until i do the enw motor soo i dont have to burn a chip twice.... I will not be doing another mod to this motor other then more boost.

http://www.50tech.com/articles/pictures/injector_flowchart.jpg

I did notice that with a vortech S trim kit, they do not include bigger injectors, but an FMU

On the Edge

I've heard that at about 500 rwhp you're maxing out the stock block. But I agree with what's been said above - it depends on the quality of the block you have. It also depends on how hard you are on the car. I don't think that a strip car with a stock bottom end that calls up the 500 rwhp every time out is going to last very long.

I've got an A-trim upgraded to the S-trim and see about 15 psi at 6,000 rpm. I only visit that place on the tach occassionally (stock bottom end street car).

As for the FMU I also agree with the above. Ditch it. If your thinking of approaching 500rwhp you must have the programmable computer system spoken of, or a custom chip.

You stated you'll have a stock engine with a 12 psi S-trim. You may see more boost than that. The 42s should be OK. I don't believe the 24s will supply the fuel with your planned Vortech upgrade (FMU or not).

You talked about "fuel tables and injectors curves burned". Do you mean a chip or new EEC? In that case you can dial in what you want. That's the way to go. :nice:

Joe, didnt I tell you earlier that those lil 24 lb injectors would need to be upgraded. And THEN, I even showed you real world results of how much hp a stock block can handle. DID YOU EVEN LOOK AT THE LINK I SENT YOU? Here it is again, scroll down for stock block chronicles. Is my word and other people experiences not good enough for you? I told you that FMUs are crap and to get rid of that Speed density...thanks for paying attetion, ill be sure to block you from IM since you everything I tell you goes in one ear and out the other.

eww your gonna block me from IM.. how 2 year old can you get????? Im not allowed to get second opinions??? you told me my 24's were fine if i could remember..if you didnt, so did vortech... Im sorry. I guess your right over them. Let me take note of that! They told me as long as i have a stock motor with an FMU, 24's should be fine... I am getting rid of it for 42's, as soon as i get money, but right now im stuck with the 24's..

Also, the way i see it.. if i buy the tweecer, i should be able to use speed density just fine, soo why get rid of it?

From what I understand the weakest point on our car's is the actual block, the internals are pretty well made. I am sure the overall condition of the engine has a lot to do with how much it will hold. If the rings are already leaking then when you add more boost your going to have even more blow-bye the rings, possibly completly blowing the rings. If a berring or wristpin is already on edge, that extra force will definatly push it over. I am sure the tune will have a lot to do with it. Don't skimp out with any band-aid solutions when trying to tune your car. I would really consider the bigger injectors and a good custom tune, and tune it for saftey more than all out power.

I have heard of people running H/C/I setups packing 300+rwhp and adding 200 shots on stock bottom ends and running them w/o problems (except broken drivtrain parts)

quiksilver9531 said:
Joe, Have you considered writing to Xzibit on MTV and asking him to pimp your ride...since its a piece of garbage heres the link http://www.mtv.com/onair/castingcall/story.jhtml?id=1456280

and then giving me your blower :rlaugh:

If I saw Xzibit outside my house fumbling over my car he's probally get shot, then the show would have to be re-named Stich my Hide.