How much boost can the new V-8 handle (theoretically)???

• Sponsors (?)

yellow5.0cobra said:
Well its not a matter of how much boost it can handle just by the block itself, you have to really account for the reciprocating assembly IN the block.

If its the cast powder crap, no more than 8-9psi SAFELY.

You suggested 400 rwhp in your previous post. Damn! If you safely boost one of these things to produce 400hp at the wheels, with stock internals, and be reliable, that's very respectable IMO. I am correct in reading your last post, "400rwhp"? Not bad for a bolt on and some fuel system mods.

As for how much boost the engine can handle, I don't see why you couldn't run the same level of boost people run in the current MOD engines. However, one possible weak link might be the plastic upper intake. I realize that other cars with intakes have run aftermarket blowers but this is new and you really can't say how it will react to 8-10 lbs of positive pressure untill you actually try it.

Obviously, that's also assuming you can reprogram the ecm to utilize the extra airflow.

Not sure if somebody said it already, but the way to calculate how much power you gain from boost is this: at 1bar (14.7PSI), you double theoretical horsepower (usually it's 5-10hp lower due to various reasons). So here's the formula:

hp
-------------
boost/14.7

Running 10PSI, you'd see approximately 440hp at the crank. Now, this is going to depend on the tune, of course, which with this new motor is even more critical than in the previous mod motors (which we all know were fairly picky about the tuning already compared with the 5.0).

Some engines will respond to boost more than others. The only sure fire way to determine HP increase is to throw the thing on a dyno and measure it. At least, you would need to input a lot more information than just how much boost you added.

awalbert88 said:
Not sure if somebody said it already, but the way to calculate how much power you gain from boost is this: at 1bar (14.7PSI), you double theoretical horsepower (usually it's 5-10hp lower due to various reasons). So here's the formula:

hp
-------------
boost/14.7

Running 10PSI, you'd see approximately 440hp at the crank. Now, this is going to depend on the tune, of course, which with this new motor is even more critical than in the previous mod motors (which we all know were fairly picky about the tuning already compared with the 5.0).

------------------------------------------------------

I did not realize that one of the most well known cars in the world, that the motor was so picky concerning tuning issues. Suprising really.

This new motor should definitely make things interesting when dealing with modding a higher compression ratio and variable cam timing. Am I wrong? :(