How much for a good paint job?

pinski

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
North Carolina
How much would a nice, complete paint job run these days? It has been years since any car that I've been around has been painted, so I have no idea at all what a good paintjob would cost.

The car is a '98 Mustang coupe - would be best if all original paint stripped, since it needs some bodywork, primered up, white paint, clearcoat.

I've called a couple bodyshops this morning, and they all want to see the car, even jsut to give a ballpark estimate (NOT in writing) :rolleyes:

Thanks guys :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

pinski said:
How much would a nice, complete paint job run these days? It has been years since any car that I've been around has been painted, so I have no idea at all what a good paintjob would cost.

The car is a '98 Mustang coupe - would be best if all original paint stripped, since it needs some bodywork, primered up, white paint, clearcoat.

I've called a couple bodyshops this morning, and they all want to see the car, even jsut to give a ballpark estimate (NOT in writing) :rolleyes:

Thanks guys :nice:
sounds about right, shop around and try and have a look at some of the work they have already done. There are a lot of cowboys out there.

When a barn fell on my XJS I got some quotes worst quote was £3400 and only painting the parts of the car that where damaged. But I found a guy who did the whole car for £1400.

I guess you'll find similar differences in the US. If your going for a same colour respray then they may just sand it rather than strip it which is like 10x more work. You also have to make the decision on whether to semi strip the car such as lights, grills, trim and so on.

Unless you have a real attachment to your current Stang (personal or financial) or you are after a non factor colour, it may be cheaper to sell your 98 and buy a newer Stang than spend $$$$'s on a paint job.

300bhp/ton said:
Unless you have a real attachment to your current Stang (personal or financial) or you are after a non factor colour, it may be cheaper to sell your 98 and buy a newer Stang than spend $$$$'s on a paint job.

Well, the thing is that I don't own the '98 yet, and it is only 1 of 14 produced, so I think it's worth a good paint job :)

It all depends on what you want.This is one where you will have to take it in for an estimate.If you are looking for a custom paint job,go to some of the custom car shops,audio,tint,wheels,etc.If that's no help try some of the Harley shops in the area.They usually know someone in the area that can give good results.Ask to see some of their work IN PERSON.Pictures mean nothing!!!A good custom job is smooth to the touch,not just the eyes.The edges of flames,lines,or color changes should not be able to be felt by running your fingers over them.This is not to much to ask,but expect to pay for this level of quality.A paint job like this with one single color might cost $5,000.This also depends on what kind of paint.Some specialty paints can cost $500 + per quart.That's why the shops want you to bring the car in,they have no way of knowing what you want untill they see the car and talk to you.If the car is a full custom you would want a full custom paint job,if not,well you might want something less.They will also look for hidden things that will need attention that you can't see or don't even know about.A guy brought a replica GT 40 into my buddy's shop and even before the primer went on he was over $10,000 for labor and materials.

Chopper1 said:
It all depends on what you want.This is one where you will have to take it in for an estimate.If you are looking for a custom paint job,go to some of the custom car shops,audio,tint,wheels,etc.If that's no help try some of the Harley shops in the area.They usually know someone in the area that can give good results.Ask to see some of their work IN PERSON.Pictures mean nothing!!!A good custom job is smooth to the touch,not just the eyes.The edges of flames,lines,or color changes should not be able to be felt by running your fingers over them.This is not to much to ask,but expect to pay for this level of quality.A paint job like this with one single color might cost $5,000.This also depends on what kind of paint.Some specialty paints can cost $500 + per quart.That's why the shops want you to bring the car in,they have no way of knowing what you want untill they see the car and talk to you.If the car is a full custom you would want a full custom paint job,if not,well you might want something less.They will also look for hidden things that will need attention that you can't see or don't even know about.A guy brought a replica GT 40 into my buddy's shop and even before the primer went on he was over $10,000 for labor and materials.

It's not a custom job - just plain old white Ford paint :lol:

I just wanted to know how much to plan to get a shop to do a really good job on it, no orange peel, dust, etc etc etc...

I would think for someone to stand behind the job it would be ~3-5k depending on the shop. Any thing less than that you better know thier reputation. anything more than that and they are chanrging you too much.

there is quite a bit of variation in paint job pricing so it is hard to give a figure.

TenaciousD said:
Depending on the color (if its a tri color or not like red) for a good paint job about $1600. thats what i got quoted for laser red

This is about what they charge in NY if you do not need any body work and you are going close to original color. You save some $ because the door jam, engine compartment and trunk do not get repainted.

Some paint jobs can be done by one of those chain paint shops like Earl Shibes or others charge much less. Some people say they are good, others say the paint job is worthless. Ask to see a few cars they already did.

A "good" paint job will be from 2.5k-8k a show style paint job will be 8-12k etc... MAACO and Earl Shieb or for a car you are selling withing 2 weeks... cause thats how long the 200 dollar paint job will last.

pinski said:
It's not a custom job - just plain old white Ford paint :lol:

I just wanted to know how much to plan to get a shop to do a really good job on it, no orange peel, dust, etc etc etc...
No orange peel will mean wetsanding and clearcoat,and more wetsanding and clearcoat.Then buffing.The quality of the paint is also a factor.Cheap paint jobs will use a cheap paint.This is the same reason the shops can't or won't give phone-in estimates.

As others said its hard to answer.Depends on how much time is involved.I had a ford garage quote me on my 93 that needed no body work just black paint/clearcoat they said $2800 min to up over $3000,and it would take 3 weeks.This wasnt going to be a show quality job of course but it would look like it did from the factory.Just be carefull who paints your car and go to a place that will guarantee their work.